Search Unity

Can Window 8 build app for iOS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by henry96, Nov 17, 2013.

1. henry96

henry96

Hi, everyone! I just upgraded my pc to Window 8.1 and get Unity 4.3 installed. Then, I found out that selecting iOS platform in build setting is now possible. And that kinda confused me. Last time I checked, building for iOS can only be possible on Mac. So can anyone tell me what's going on? Thanks in advance

2. HolBol

HolBol

You still need xcode, i believe.

3. Tanel

Tanel

From 4.3 release notes. Quite happy about this :).

4. henry96

henry96

Nice!!! With this, it makes collaboration even more efficient. :)

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That's a nice touch indeed!

6. goat

goat

It's very handy but you'll need to have osX at least to release to Apple unless they shock the world and allow it from Windows in the future.

7. GiusCo

GiusCo

I'm running Win 7 on a 2009 laptop for my daily job and have a 2011 Mac Mini for Unity / iOS ... may you please tell more?

Win 8 to build and test all platforms and only use Mac for deploying to AppStore? I would be very happy to buy a 400 euros i5 laptop that does all platforms and will do for the next 3-5 years (ie: only use the Mini for final deployment).

8. iddqd

iddqd

The Xcode project export in 4.3 is a real time saver.

Now you just need to compile the project in Xcode. You no longer need Unity installed on OSX.

9. Devilbox-Games

Devilbox-Games

No, you can export the iOS XCode project from Unity on Windows (any version of windows which Unity supports, not just Win8 ) but the XCode project still has to be compiled on OSX in order to build the app to test it on an iPhone or iPad.