Search Unity

Can we use free Unity version for a non-commercial marketing project?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaximVelichkin, Jul 27, 2021.

1. MaximVelichkin

MaximVelichkin

Hello, if I work in a company with revenue of more than $200k, If we are doing a non-commercial project, we will not have direct income from it, this is a marketing project for our company, can we use the free Unity version?

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Marketing is commercial, not sure how you would count that as anything but commercial. You dont need to earn money from something for it to be commercial. If it is for your business, its based on how much your business earns, not the project you are using it for.

So you will need to pay, like everyone else. Or you will be in voilation of TOS.

It seems from all your questions on these forums you are trying to get around paying for unity subscription - If you want to use unity for a business you will need to get the proper license. Which will be for 12 months.

lmbarns, tmcdonald and Ryiah like this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah I think you need a license. As above.

It's hard to quantify non commercial when every move a company makes is in some way going to affect company image and thus be commercial. Check with support anyway.

tmcdonald likes this.
  5. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

As per the Terms of Service, your total revenues are what matter, regardless of the fact that they are not made using Unity:

The only time it matters whether you're making the revenue from Unity or not is when you are using it as an individual, not as a Legal Entity (i.e. a company).

That said, the advice others here are giving - to contact sales - is good advice.

tmcdonald, Ryiah and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  6. tmcdonald

tmcdonald

Do you know how Unity defines Legal Entity? Say if you are an individual making over the Personal revenue cap (I believe it's $100k USD?), do you constitute the legal entity in question? So if you are making a 6 figure salary, at that point, are you in violation of the Unity licensing agreement for the personal edition if you are using it for personal projects? This has probably been answered before but I figured I'd make use of this thread.

EDIT: Nevermind it's literally right below the other items:

Ryiah and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  7. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I think it's defined in the second paragraph of the overall ToS:
    As you note, there is a separate rule for individuals.

Ryiah and tmcdonald like this.