Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Can we remove Collaborate from paid subscriptions?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Marc-Saubion, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi.

As all Plus/Pro users, part of my subscription goes to Unity Teams Advanced for 25GB of storage that I can't use because Collaborate never worked as advertised. Considering the situation isn't a temporary incident, I'd like Unity to consider separating this service from the game engine.

It's unfair to charge users for unrelated services. I'm sure a lawyer would explain to us how tying product is legal in this case for whatever reason, but the thing is, this situation doesn't show confidence. Nobody ties products when they're good enough to sell on their own.

You might want to consider the effect this has on your reputation. I'd love to be proud and supportive of Unity, but I'm not. Earlier this year, I was teaching Unity and my students asked me about the dark skin, because obviously they wanted it too. So i told them about your policy, and they reacted as we all do. This is going to be the same about collaborate. It's once thing to tie-sell it, but when they ask me for help, I throw you under the bus. Why wouldn't I?

To present it diplomatically, it's illegal to charge us for a service you can't provide. If it was just a case of "they included an amateur tool but I need a professional grade service", I'd be alright. I accept that I'm paying for many features that I replace at my expense when they aren't up to my standards, but only because they work in the first place.

Now, I'm not looking for a legal battle here, but I'm reconsidering my substitution because my money isn't going where it benefits me. I'm not paying because I need to, I'm doing it to support the tool I use everyday to make a living. If you don't do that, why should I continue?