Search Unity

Can we please finally fix the random position of dragging in objects in the scene?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Flow-Fire-Games, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

It is extremely frustrating to constantly fix the random positions of every single object drag into the scene and it follows no understandable logic. Edit: I understand it now after some testing, it tries to always center to the screen, which usually makes no usability sense. Nobody I asked understood the behavior, everyone thought it is a bug.

As you can see, my perfectly zeroed object (and perfectly zeroed child)
    Dragging the same sized, same scaled, perfectly zeroed prefab or other object onto it,
    puts it into an offset of x=2 and Y=0.379999999

It feels totally random, and very frustrating.
    Why would I have a object in my screen center when I drag it into the hierarchy of another object or the scene. I don't know any 3D software that does that. Ive been using unity for many years and Im still getting surprised every time. Makes the editor feel janky and unpredictable.

Takes me one large drag across the screen, and usually 3 extra clicks and 3 extra button presses, so 6 presses and 1 large mouse movement just to fix something that should not happen in the first place. And that for every object ever, over months and years.

Please change this behavior to be zeroed around the parent object.
    Creating a object from the GameObject window to be center in your screen is debatable but acceptable, but dragging into a hierarchy should never do this.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Vaupell likes this.
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you filled a bug report?

3. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

I just edited the post. It is actually no bug.

The behavior is that it always tries to center the object to the viewport center, regardless if you try to put it in a hierarchy, which is intended behavior but a really bad UX choice.

If even you Karl do not realize why it does that (not trying to be insulting), I think this is really a sign that it needs to change. And its a thing everyone does unending times. My colleagues also did not know.

Thanks for the quick reply! Please let the UX department know.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. Lekyh

Lekyh

I think that Unity Editor sets the object position according to your camera position or if the object is a prefab, the position is of according the position of the prefab relative to the parent object.

It's not a bug. It has always been like that.

5. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Its been way too many years and needs to change.
    Across all users those must be years of accumulated wasted time and frustration.

Also:
    If you open a prefab, the prefab is also at a seemingly random position with your screen centered to it, instead of the prefab being at 0,0 with your prefab viewport centered also.
    This is not a big deal as prefab position in prefab scene does never matter, but it feels buggy and unpolished regardless and leads to confusion if the user did something wrong.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Thanks. I have passed your suggestions on. If you feel something does not work correctly such as the centering of the screen etc you can still file a bug report. Bad UX can still be considered a bug ;)

7. Vaupell

Vaupell

Not really sorry for reviving this old thing, it would consider it a issue.

Coming back to unity after some years away, this is very frustrating completely agree.
    I remember in older Unity versions, creating new objects or drag/dropping was always close to work area,
    now it seems very random, and not even close to 0,0,0.

I used to have buttons added on the position in unity 3 and 4 next to the coordinates when creating a item
    i click that and it would always move the selected object into view, similar to pressing F for the camera, except i
    would instead move the object to camera, not move the camera ;)

8. Quantumstorey

Quantumstorey

Issue still exists in Unity 2019.3.15f Unfortunately, it makes ALT dragging useless.