Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we implement custom image effects with Post Processing v2.1.7 ?

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by bloodthirst69, Jul 10, 2019.

1. bloodthirst69

bloodthirst69

2. Namey5

Namey5

https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-new-post-processing-extending.624166/

Going off this thread, it looks like Unity have moved on from PPv2 and are not going to add support for custom effects at any point. Instead they're focused on implementing custom effects in the new post-processing stacks in HDRP and LWRP, which will be out potentially around 2019.2. It does unfortunately leave the built-in pipeline somewhat broken for those who still want to use it (myself included). I'm still using the old 'Post-Processing Stack v2' from the asset store (which is technically PPv1) because it basically just works as one combined image effect, meaning you can have old-style custom image effects around it.

3. Velo222

Velo222

So what about HDRP post-processing then? Can we make custom post-processing effects in HDRP yet? I have a post-processing effect I want to do, but I don't know where to start to even begin creating it in HDRP.

Are there any tutorials, or even the "infrastructure" to do it yet in HDRP?

4. Namey5

Namey5

No, not currently. The only infrastructure to implement custom effects in HDRP is to completely build your own post-processing system. Not impossible; Catlike coding just put out a great tutorial on creating a custom post-process stack in SRP:

https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/scriptable-render-pipeline/post-processing/

You could also modify the HDRP stack itself and forcefully inject some custom effects, but that would take a LOT of work and even more time for just figuring out how the internal system works.

As far as official support, as I said in the reply above, the plan is to release it sometime during 2019.2, but there's no guarantee on that.

5. Velo222

Velo222

Wow that was a fast reply. Thanks.

Well, that sounds like by the time I get a whole new stack/system working, Unity will have official support by then. I think I might just wait until Unity implements official support for it. I'm just starting out really, so it's probably best if I wait.

However, I will check out that tutorial and probably see if I can get somewhere with it. It's really hard waiting for Unity to develop HDRP, because I really like the renderer. But there's so little features and support for it right now. :D

Namey5 likes this.