Search Unity

Feedback Can we have a "Pause download" "Resume download" button in Unity Hub? And more info when downloading

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by altepTest, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altepTest

altepTest

Due to this virus outbreak I'm forced to use a mobile connection. The connection is fast but unreliable, it also has a data cap. Which is a issue when using Unity Hub

Today I've tried to download the new unity version together with all the various addons, Android, iOs ecc.

Only info about the download is a small blue line atop the unity version box.

Frankly that is really bad ui design. Most of us don't care about minimalist design, we are tech savvy people that we need information not nice UI (both would be good but if we need to chose I want the info part)

please give us information on what is currently downloading,
    what percentage and size info had been downloaded,
    what percentage remains to be downloaded,
    where the temp files are downloaded (more about this in a few moments),
    how much time remaining till download is finished

Then today when downloading after the blue line has reached maybe 40% ?? who knows, mobile connections disconnects, unity hub just fails to connect to network (message at bottom of screen) the white box with the name of the unity version that was downloading is gone, no clue what happened.

Tried adding the version again and it proceeds to download everything again (blue line slowly filling up)

I've just burned gigabytes of data cap for nothing

Then, because of other needs I need to close the computer. Unity hub doesn't have a pause resume button only cancel. i need to wait for this bar to fill downloading and who knows when is done if he ever completes as the connection may drop again.

then the temp files unity hub downloaded before failing, are gone from my computer or not? how do I find out?

man_, BenMacTavish, iamsubil and 13 others like this.
  2. altepTest

altepTest

just till was close to finish I think, last time I've checked it was a blue bar of 90% or something, now the version 2019.3.9f1 is gone again. other gigabytes burned

i think for today I'm done :) with downloading unity

MahdiHosseini, KRH, Miteshk7 and 3 others like this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Facing same issue!

4. chrisov

chrisov

same here. talk about lazy coding whoever made unity hub. just garbage

5. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone !
    We are planning that feature of pausing/resuming/retrying downloads of the editors. For now, the downloaded files are stored in a temp file that is deleted once the install is done. We are also planning a "download now install later" feature. But we are prioritizing other things for now.

6. krisventure

krisventure

The most important would be to be able to resume my downloads, otherwise I can't download new Unity versions and modules when using less reliable WIFI connections. For this you'll need to catch the network error and save the temporary file on the hard disk before deleting it, then find it when the network resumes (or add a resume download button that triggers the detection of the saved file). I know it's more complicated than that because you'll also have to save the progress status to know which bits exactly have already been downloaded. Keep up the good work, hope the feature is arriving soon!

7. NikolayPavlov

NikolayPavlov

I generally can not understand why this Hub if there is really nothing in it. It simply shows which projects are there and install the editor (and that is crookedly done). Epic game launcher to you as an example. There you can not only pause the editor’s download, but generally turn off the PC and then resume the download.

8. Baste

Baste

What are you priotitizing?

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

I second @Baste on this. This is really an issue especially in countries where all facilities have been disrupted because of the outbreak. Please add this to the Hub ASAP. Since the LTS is released now, i guess unity tech can make time for this modification.

VariusPublius and Miteshk7 like this.
  10. jericfactor

jericfactor

Im still using Win7 but this could help. If your download is canceled or your having some data issues you could try this.
    Step 1:
    start the run program, you could search on the start menu or press Win + R
    Step 2:
    after you have start the run program type the location of your temp folder, or just type %temp%
    Step 3:
    if your in the temp folder, right click and select sort, and date modified
    Step 4:
    open folders and find the file
    Step 5:
    if you find the file, then try to open mozilla firefox or download mozilla(I think it only works on mozilla)
    Step 6:
    find the unity archive page then find the unity version that you have downloaded then press download and pause it
    Step 7:
    copy your unity download from step 4 or from the unity hub, goto to your downloads folder paste it there then copy the name of the file from the mozilla or unity archive, after you have copied the name change the name of the download file from the mozilla because windows wont let two file with the same name, then rename the file from the unity hub with the copied name
    Step 8:
    go back to mozilla and resume the download

Hope this Works for you, and thanks for reading this.

socialtrens, adrishkumarde and rxxdge like this.
  11. aymusbond

aymusbond

This feature is really required, especially for those over mobile data. I had to repeat the download 10 times just because my mobile data stops in between and the complete download stops and disappears :(

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

All right, I really think that unity needs to include this feature in their Unity Hub. First of all you remove the option to add modules to non hub installs to "promote" the use of the Hub, and then you make it delete all installed at even a microsecond of internet outage. And the lack of response to this from Unity's side is really bad.

Unity Tech. you have to realize that not the entire world lives in places with blazing fast internet speed and fiber optics and all. This one small problem actually costs money to people who are on metered connections. Please, fix this issue as soon as possible.

13. jericfactor

jericfactor

If you're not downloading android support for unity just go to this link https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive , find the Unity version you need, just remember not to click the unity hub button just click on the platform you are in if you want to download some modules click on the release note button. Like you I also only use mobile data =)....

14. Miteshk7

Miteshk7

I have the same problem but i found that you can download Unity using Torrent and pause/resume it.
    Here's the link -

ashishsjadhao084 likes this.
  15. abkoradiya09

abkoradiya09

It's working. Thanks.

socialtrens likes this.
  16. aymusbond

aymusbond

You are right. But that is the problem, I am building Android application and I require Android support :) Very difficult for people in my condition.

17. jericfactor

jericfactor

found it, in the unity archive next to the version of unity you pick press the release notes button it will take you to the additional downloads press the module you need or want for android support if you dont have android sdk, ndk and java development kit .
    For JDK 8 use this link this is the one that i use.
    https://www.oracle.com/ph/java/technologies/javase/javase-jdk8-downloads.html
    For sdk use this and in the android studio download sdk.
    https://developer.android.com/studio
    For ndk use this but i havent try to install it if your not sure for the link that i give just search but for the early links it work.
    https://dl.google.com/android/repository/android-ndk-r21d-windows-x86_64.zip

18. mmroberts

mmroberts

I am (unfortunately) located in a rural area that has very poor internet service and am stuck at home due to quarantine laws. I am trying for the tenth time to download Unity and my hopes are pretty bleak. Pretty much every other large download utility has a "resume" feature (for example, my Microsoft Visual Studio download failed multiple times, but I was able to re-start where it left off and I now have VS...I just don't have Unity).. Why doesn't the Unity installer have this capability? The way it is, it becomes an all or nothing proposition and since I am paying by the GB for bandwidth, a failed download has real monetary consequences. Come on, guys...you program amazing stuff. Can't you work in a Resume Download on failure feature?

19. rxxdge

rxxdge

Thank you, this worked like a charm. The key is to remove the saboteur Unity Hub and never install it.

20. xfinite007

xfinite007

Thank You So Much! Im a nigerian and this was my problem all day. :)

21. alfish

alfish

Also, please make it so downloads are kept and resumed on Internet failure, instead of completely failing with a corrupt file. This is important on unstable Internet connections, since downloads are large and can fail at any moment.
    See: https://forum.unity.com/threads/hub-2-0-feedback.680695/#post-6426323

22. ScriptsEngineer

ScriptsEngineer

Please added this feature, it is extremely important to have users, I know people who are failing to use the tool due to "download failures" simply delete all download work, see by side that not all users have ultra fast internet and this would be an extremely important quality of life feature for the unity hub tool.

MahdiHosseini likes this.
  23. duckSPLASH

duckSPLASH

Well this was a disappointing rabbit hole. Not gonna get these 3 hours back.

Is there any workaround?

24. BenjiM_Unity

BenjiM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Thank you everyone for the feedback. The team has shared that a future version will address this issue.

25. Baste

Baste

Is that a different future version from the future version that would address this in 2018?

26. ArunPrakasam

ArunPrakasam

without giving pause resume options...ppl like me cannot use new versions of unity...in my area there will be no broadband...thats my headache...so i want to use my mobile data...pls consider users like me...UNREAL HAS PAUSE OPTION...he he he...

27. altepTest

altepTest

Months later same issue, is enough for my network to go down one second! and unity hub throws an error about failing to install unity after downloading 90% of the files required.

you did not failed to install, unity hub, you fail to pause download and resume. that you have failed, a simple task that should be no big deal for the team that creates an advanced piece of software as unity.

I'm appearing overly negative here because these small issues could be fixed but are kept here to irritate the user base. Downloading unity is not a one time task but you have to do it very often. I could live with trying to download unity 8 times before it works if I have to do this once every 2 years but every month?

And what development logic is this? Can someone from unity explain me how this sounded good on paper. Listen:

"If the connection to server fails then delete all files already downloaded."

What sane developer thought this is a good idea? And how the rest of the development team when reading this specs said, wow that would be a great feature to have?

Unity is an amazing piece of software and you did a wonderful job creating this tool for us and even give it for free for all to have a fair jump start in becoming a game developer.

But can you let me download it?

28. Yukken

Yukken

2021 and still nothing. Unity hubs just stops downloading after 10 mins EVERY TIME. Trying to download 2019.4.17 and for an hour.
    It doesn't even say anything. I check back after 10 mins and poof, the download progress is gone. If it failed due to network issues then it should at least tell me that!

29. EagleOnez

EagleOnez

in 2021 era, and the Launcher (Downloader) still in "Primitive" way like the 2000 era ? i know you can easily add PAUSE & RESUME downloading . other Launchers/Installer/Downloader in 2020 2021 has it .. UNITY is really great tools, but i must admit this Launcher is primitive in download RESUME capability :( i love UNITY , but not this Launcher programming , how many people work on this Launcher , btw ? do you need community help to patch this launcher capability ? the community is ready !

30. vincewins

vincewins

I am facing the exact same situation each and every time I want to download a new version, which is about 2 times a month.
    When I had 50Mbps+, this was not a real issue since its downloaded within 2 minutes - but now that I rely on mobile broadband, having connection issues that I cannot avoid from time to time, this takes me at least two to three, sometimes five approaches where your download is being cancelled whenever your internet connection has been terminated for more than a millisecond.
    It's just humiliating to see your almost-complete download being terminated, aborted and all cached files being deleted and then having to start from 0% again..

BUT: I worked around it by using JDownloader, using the URL from the unity download archives. Finally a way to pause and resume that is way more forigiving and therefore much less frustrating...
    EDIT: they also offer torrent downloads. just forget about unity hub, it's just megabytes of garbage anyways.

31. Sailendu

Sailendu

Is there any update on when this feature will see the light of the day? Is it coming this year? Pause and resume is a must have feature for Unity Hub, I think this should be on high priority. As many users are facing issues because of this.

32. MahdiHosseini

MahdiHosseini

When are you going to implement this? is it this year? when will the new update be released?
    I don't know about your prioritization, but this is my biggest problem with the Unity hub so far, as it doesn't even let me download Unity in the first step, shouldn't this be on high priority? how do you prioritize things, that this annoying problem still exists after 3 years?

blazing_viking and Sailendu like this.
  33. hustinyano

hustinyano

Downloading Unity costed me a lot of money (even though it's free, access to the internet isn't) and I still haven't managed to download it. Why isn't pause and resume a thing yet? I was going to learn Unity but I guess I can't now. I'll come back when it's easier and more convenient to download.

34. altepTest

altepTest

an user above, vincewins, posted that there are torrent version, not sure how this works as I've not used this feature but you can try so you can finish the download.

I'm not sure why is so difficult for unity programmers that are obviously advanced developers to implement some system to pause the download if connections drop and then resume. Is not that they need to invent something new, never seen before, which by the way they are capable of doing as they are doing this invent stuff as main job.

35. cy-bug

cy-bug

nice -_- priortize it for the next update, or i will hate u :D

36. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Hi there! This request is on our radar and was raised with our HUB team.
    I can't give an exactly ETA, but a future version will address this issue.

Sailendu likes this.
  37. Baste

Baste

You have said that for years, though, so is there a difference this time from the last times?

38. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

I know this request is taking some time. I've recently spoken with the team, and they're working on it.
    Still, can't give an ETA, but I'll keep this thread updated!

39. Predulus

Predulus

While you're at it, get them to convert it to bittorrent p2p behind the scenes. Infinitely less load for unity servers, and just ... better.

40. altepTest

altepTest

I may be wrong because I never used this method but I think the torrent option is available. Someone mentioned this above

41. I think that's only available if you download the editor from the web: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive and only for Windows and for OSX.

42. altepTest

altepTest

ah, ok. I get it. the user mentioning to use the torrent functionality inside the unity hub itself.

not quite a good idea then, because of security reasons. a third party could gather IP data on unity users which may help in using that data for illegal activities.

43. ashishsjadhao084

ashishsjadhao084

This works fine, Thanks

44. Jishnu2010

Jishnu2010

Huh, its 2022 and still there is no Pause/Resume button. Seems like that future version will come in 2050...

Predulus likes this.
  45. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

@Jishun2010 please, don't bump old threads/necropost :oops:
    As I said before, this request is taking some time, but the team is working on it

I'll update this thread when I have any news about it. For now, I'll close it.
    Thank you so much for all your input in this request!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.