Search Unity

Can we have a full but simple example project using Addressables showing the best practices??

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by chanon81, Jan 14, 2019.

1. chanon81

chanon81

TLDR: Just the title

Sorry for Rant below:

Addressables seems to be the hardest thing in all of Unity to get working right for me now. It seems very fragile.

I have been using it successfully for dynamically loading prefabs and running in Play mode in the Editor.

But now building and running the game on device (mobile), I keep running into Addressable related exceptions. And it feels kind of random because I build it once, it does not work, I build it again and then it works.

For example, I built my own native C++ extension to do some things and it was behaving wrong when on device. After hours debugging turns out that it was due to Addressables not loading some assets the extension uses correctly. I fixed that by just making those assets not Addressable and move them to 'Resources' folder instead. (They were ScriptableObjects.)

Now though, some textures are not loading correctly - oh wait .. new build just finished while typing this (not kidding) and now it is working correctly (I didn't change anything, just tried building it again).

So it seems like I need to build 3 times before everything is loaded correctly. I do the Build/Build Player Content step every time too, but it seems like I have to go through the whole build cycle 3 times before everything works.

I know I'm probably doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what I'm missing and it is very hard to find the reason for these random issues. One full day from me trying to just get my game running correctly on device due to Addressable issues.

I can't imagine how getting the remote loading or the content update workflow working would be like.

So, I'd just want to ask that we get some better documentation ... maybe more streamlined usage steps, and an example project (or projects) that shows how to setup and use everything. Also troubleshooting guide would be nice.

Regarding example project, I see mention of EndlessRunnerSample? Didn't see mention of it in documentation though and seems it is only at 0.2 version?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    taptpci likes this.
  2. Tarrag

Tarrag

+1 example projects please

joshcamas likes this.
  3. wirelessdreamer

wirelessdreamer

+1, i've been fighting with getting a successful build using addressables for the past week.

joshcamas likes this.
  4. itthereforeim

itthereforeim

I started using AAS from version 0.3.5.
    I've written dozens of small projects that verify AAS functions.

However, if I am the leader of the AAS team.
    I will not spend manpower to make Sample at this point of time.

The reason is that after comparing these versions from 035 ~ 048 ~ 053.
    We will find out, that each version has some obviously adjustments.
    For example:
    The rule of .bin file
    Maybe we won't have to selet it anymore in next version
    (I wish~)

The AAS team don't even has time to deal with the obviously BUG in 0.5.3.
    For Example:
    Prefab's dependency resources missing

Pratice Sample? let's not force them to give it :D

If you have problems with AAS environment construction.
    Maybe, you can find some answer in this forum.
    Or you can post a thread here, to ask everyone.
    If you don’t really have the answer, maybe you have to find another way first.
    For example DIY? ouch~

In fact, I do really hope, that we can receive AAS's first stable version, in 2019.1 version.

5. chanon81

chanon81

Even while they develop they probably need a test project that helps verify that everything is working.
    Are they just coding it without testing that everything works together?

How are we supposed to use it if they can't even get it working in a basic example project.

I would suggest going forward, have a simple example project and update it to work for each Addressable release. It would help save a lot of people's time.

I know it is not stable release yet, but again, example project could help people a lot.

Would also help people see if they are doing things wrong or if it is an actual bug.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  6. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

@chanon81 The effort would be high, as not even the API is stable yet. It is not just "there might be bugs". Updating the example project as long as not even the major stuff works bugfree is likely simply not viable.

chanon81 likes this.
  7. unity_bill

unity_bill

yeah, it's in the works. A super-simple version should be out soon (month-ish?), with more added to it over time. As stated in this thread, there are some challenges with making sure whatever we post will stay up to date, but after next release, the API should stabilize a lot.

8. chanon81

chanon81

Great news! Really appreciate it.