Search Unity

Feedback Can we get some love for the R16UInt Texture2D?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by fct509, Jun 3, 2021.

1. fct509

fct509

Can we get some love for single channel uint Texture2Ds. We have the EncodeToEXR(Texture2D.EXRFlags flags) extension method; OpenEXR supports single-channel Int32 images. Yet, that doesn't seem to be an option in Texture2D.EXRFlags.

We can create RenderTextures with the R16UInt Graphics Format.
    We can create Texture2Ds with the R16UInt Graphics Format.
    Are we only allowed to save this by using an outside solution?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have come across the situation where saving to an uint image file would be incredibly helpful. I've come across this situation at least once a year for the last 4 years. It would be nice if I didn't need to get creative every time.

Unity has been making a big deal about not being just for gaming for a few years now. Well, when you get into scientific computing, you need I/O options that aren't the computer screen. Sometimes, we need to pass densely packed data (that Unity is great at generating) into something other than Unity. But, as great as Unity is at generating densely packed data in real-time, it kind of, really f*****g sucks at passing that data off to someone else when that data isn't some kind of float4.

Can we get some love for rendering something other than a float4 color. And, can we get some love for encoding a single channel integer based Texture2D into an image format that supports single-channel-integer values.