Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we get an official Blackmagic Decklink Support

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by Brainslum, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Brainslum

Brainslum

Hi,

Unity has all the tools to make virtual productions next level but one key component is just missing, which is directly supporting decklink(4k/8k) and an drag and drop experience that you get in UE4.

Can we get this started so that 3rd party vp companies that make the trackers can make their plugins for Unity?

Without this it limits Unity functionality in only 3D animations creations. And the key reason why Unity is so behind in VP is that 3rd party companies just dont have an access point to make their plugins for Unity. As a result their plugin for UE4 is just levels above and really polished.

On a VP set we cant rely on asset store makers to make a plane of a streaming video plane to show up plain and simple. It must be neatly offered in Unity natively

Thank you guys so much for your input. Cinemachine and live package are already lightyears ahead of what we had in 2017

highlyinteractive likes this.
  2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi @Brainslum and thanks for the request. Unfortunately I can't say much about any plans we may or may not have in this area – this is something that occasionally arises when asking about planned support for third-party products.

I will say that we're aware of this gap in our existing solution, and that I've logged your request. Sorry that I can't say more at this time.

3. Brainslum

Brainslum

Hi thanks for the response and logging. Here are some extra info I gathered along the years hopefully it helps to make VP possible for Unity.

1. For Blackmagic. I know that Keijiro from Unity Japan already published Klink a while ago. There is also AVPRO from the asset store.
    https://github.com/keijiro/Klinker
    The foundation should be there and all we need is to package it like Live Capture Package, where we have a native connection window to link to Blackmagic/3rd party camera graphics into Unity..

Ideally it can sit on something like UGUI screen space so that users can chane the depth of the video plane to make it appear behind or in front of objects in distance.

2. For camera distortion to match with the real camera, we also need an official guide from Unity to know how to distort camera with calibrated parameters(r1, r2, center shift etc.) this is the standard procedure for any VP device to work: we calculate the camera lens intrinsics with Nuke or other devices but need to input those parameteres into Unity to match the distortion of real camera lens. This parameter also needs to be publicly accessible through coding or visual effects graph, the VP devices need to use lens encoders to get those parameters because they can change as operator change zoom/focus.

3.I forgot to mention that genlock would also be crucial to make VP happen with unity.

EXTRA: I am based in LA and New York and I own professional VP equipment(such as redspy from stipe). I would love to help for testing sessions if you guys need access with the hardware.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    McDev02 likes this.
  4. Oliver0769

Oliver0769

Thanks! I hope there is more information on this topic in the future. :)

5. Billups69

Billups69

Thank you so much for the Extra Info, I will try to figure it out for more.

6. yangkuki4

yangkuki4

How do I contact Blackmagic Design?
    Customer Support
    Support in USA, Canada, South America. Phone 877 717 5248. ...
    Support in Europe, Middle East and Africa. Phone +44(0) 1565 830049.
    Support in Australia and New Zealand. Phone +61 3 9722 9700.
    Support in South East Asia. Phone +65 6339 2171.
    Support in China. Phone +400 028 0336.
    Support in Japan.

7. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

For anyone following/finding this thread, I'd like to direct your attention to our public roadmap, where you can get a sense of (and even vote for) new features. There is information specifically relevant to what you seek.