Search Unity

Can we Freeze Frame particle animations?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by holla-loop, Jul 8, 2019.

1. holla-loop

holla-loop

Hi Guys, I'm a visual designer who's quite new to Unity and making progress through my first game, details of which are on my instagram here.

My current focus is on making some cool trails from my player characters as they fly around. I'm getting to grips with the Unity particle generator, but looking for tutorials it seems that being able to freeze the shape in After Effects is a really cool way of being able to carefully tweak things to see how they will relate into the shape of things in real-time. Like so:

Is there any way to achieve this in Unity? What's the best method people use to see the outcome of the particle on screen when it's a trail? If it was a stationary object you could just play the particle and you'd see the outcome, but with movement involved it becomes harder!

all the best, holla

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

I think what you're asking for is how the particle preview already works with Resimluate checked. If you pause the playback, you can tweak settings and they will be applied as though they were applied from the start. If you disable Resimulate, changes are only applied to particles born after your changes, rather than retroactively.

Resimulate is a checkbox on the same piece of UI in the Scene View that lets you play/pause/stop a selected particle system.

3. holla-loop

holla-loop

Ahhhh I hadn't even thought to pause on that UI... slightly embarrassed, I'll give that a try! Thanks

richardkettlewell likes this.