Search Unity

Can we add "keto" and "supplement" to the spam filter already?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by MadeFromPolygons, Jul 31, 2019.

1. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Title says it all, I report a ton of spam daily and about 80% has the word "keto" or "supplement" in it. Conversly, I have yet to read a legitimate post on these forums in any section that uses these words, so can we just deal with it and add them to the spam filter already?

EDIT: tagging in @UnityMaru as only person I know who can maybe get this done, but if anyone knows any other staff that have control over this let me know and Ill also try and tag them in.

I am very very tired of reporting keto spam every single day with it seemingly never ending. I am trying my best to help clean up the forums but it is very hard without these words in spam filter.

2. Mauri

Mauri

MadeFromPolygons and Antypodish like this.
  3. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hey folks,

These words are actually already included in the spam filter, as I've just checked. I will chat to our technical team to just review the settings and see if this can be more effective.

@Mauri these threads popped up at a time when we tested out improving the spam filter, but it ended up blocking a lot of legitimate users to the point where we had to change it back.

MadeFromPolygons and Mauri like this.
  4. Mauri

Mauri

I see... Thanks for the explanation :)

5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Thanks for the clarification @UnityMaru , hopefully its just a case of adjusting some settings but right now it doesnt seem to be working 100%

6. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Yeah, believe me, I'd love nothing more than an awesome spam filter. There's a couple ideas our team have put forward to hopefully improve this. I'll let you guys know if any of them come to light :)

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

@UnityMaru Any chance you can decrease the delay I'm allowed to report spam? I find these 20 seconds wait periods between each report kind of annoying.

8. Mauri

Mauri

9. zhemeizhao

zhemeizhao

I think it is a good idea.

10. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

We're making improvements down the line - I and my team totally accept it's not perfect but we know a few tweaks we've made are having an effect.

11. LaneFox

LaneFox

Spam comes from new accounts, is there a way to only spam filter posts if the user has <25 posts? Seems like that would cut out tons of noise and allow more liberal filters or additional antirobo prompts.

12. Antypodish

Antypodish

@LaneFox this good thought. But even with 1 or two post would do it in current situation.

In fact many large forums / stacks do not allow links in first posts.

13. Baste

Baste

Blocking links doesn't really help, since you get spam like this:

upload_2020-11-17_13-25-53.png

Seems like any links have been stripped, but the spam post still gets made and takes up space.

14. Antypodish

Antypodish

I stil see links quite often. Unless something changed very recently.
    Without links, at least there isn't driving community, to 3rd party sites.
    While sure not perfect, but at least something feasible to resolve, I believe.

15. Baste

Baste

The obvious fix is to have moderators have to approve all new threads by new members. @UnityMaru and everyone else has never replied to why they don't do that, so we're completely in the dark on if that's not feasible, or if they're pulling a Steam-esque "all solutions that involve real humans doing things are off the table by default" deal.

16. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I think its probably not doable at scale, as there are potentially 100s of new posts daily and unity is only ever growing in popularity.

Although I agree that if it was doable at scale, this would sort out the problem 99% of the way.

17. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

You're somewhat on the money. This would be an enormous task to do. Not to mention that we aren't a company that typically work weekends, nor are volunteer mods under obligation to cover weekends. I would feel rather sad for someone making a first post on a late friday night PST who would have to wait days for their honest post just to show up.

Antypodish and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  18. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

We just need AI to become better so we can have a perfectly 100% infallible AI moderator who never eats or sleeps.

Twist: 100 years from now they will teach in school that this is how we accidentally ended up creating SkyNet and ending the world, trying to make a forums defence systems better :D

19. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

There are more robust options out there which can handle this, which is why we're keen to move forum platforms. It's just not an easy process because there's lots to consider with a migration. The work is still being done to move platforms but there's no ETA at present but it's giving us time to work out a plan of action.

20. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Its cool, its not like the current forums are the worst out there. All things considered they hold up pretty well when you think how many more active users there are now compared to like 5 years ago.

I do think overall spam has gotten a ton better in last few months, when this post originally started spam was at an ungodly level where everytime I opened general there was at least 2-3 fresh keto spam an hour. Now its still everyday but nowhere near as bad! :D

21. Antypodish

Antypodish

I think we should remove key words, starting in K in this thread.
    It will drive undesired traffic to this forum.

22. Vryken

Vryken

I've always found these ones weird.
    Like, sure, they've successfully bypassed the filter, but now they're not even advertising the thing they want to spam anymore.

"5 Easy Natural Fat Loss Tips" is just a statement. There's no hyperlinks or brand names or anything. Nobody wins in this situation.