Search Unity

Can VR work with Unity 4.7?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheGaul, Dec 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGaul

TheGaul

I have an game made with Unity 4.7 and wondered if I could make VR work with it?
    Because of all the breaking changes since 4.7 there is no way to update it to a later Unity.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

It would require less effort to bring the game's code in line with a version of Unity newer than four years old than it would to try and cram VR into the 4.x cycle.

NotaNaN, Ryiah and TheGaul like this.
  3. TheGaul

TheGaul

I dunno though... I have a strange feeling cramming VR in might actually be the most efficient option.

If only I could use the legacy networking in the newer versions or VR in the earlier versions. Welll... there might be a compromise if I used Unity 2018.1. I could probably cram it all in there. Even though the PhysX version will be a bit different.

Nope... it says minimum supported version for Oculus app development is 2018.4. So close yet so far.

Well here it says that I have to use at least 2017.3 otherwise it will cause headaches.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  4. MDADigital

MDADigital

You want to use single pass instanced, I don't know exactly when it was introduced though

5. TheGaul

TheGaul

Hmm. First page I can see is for Unity 2018.4, then it skips 2019 and is there again in 2020.

So from all these things it looks like realistically, Untiy 2018.4 is the earliest one that will work properly with VR.
    Oh well. Looks like I'll have to update the game and update the networking if I want VR. Maybe earlier versions would be able to do simple graphics.

6. MDADigital

MDADigital

Don't forget that 2020.2 reports correct deltatime which means no jitter ;)

7. TheGaul

TheGaul

goddamit. :confused:
    Is this noticeable?

8. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Unless you have the source code for that version, it's not possible AFAIK. You could probably get a desktop VR SDK working via a native plug-in to get input, but VR need some low level integrations to rendering which I'm not sure are possible using only a plug-in.

TheGaul likes this.
  9. MDADigital

MDADigital

Depends on how sensitive you are for jitter. I can't even play a movie at the wrong framerate (24fps on a 60hz monitor for example)

TheGaul likes this.
  10. TheGaul

TheGaul

That is strange. I've never had that problem myself. Only thing I noticed once - in the olden times - was that setting the refresh rate of a monitor too high gave me a headache.

Well looks like I'll have to go with plan B. Which is try to copy the Network class into Unity 2020. I wonder if that's possible. I hope it's just a case of copying some c# library files. (No I think this is impossible).

To be fair, a multiplayer game in VR is probably going to have some jitter just due to latency.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  11. MDADigital

MDADigital

Our VR game uses a tick rate of 20hz its looks pretty decent, we just rewrote our filtering too its looks a bit better with the ne. Interpolating.

Edit: the IK needs work though :)

TheGaul likes this.
  12. TheGaul

TheGaul

Yes, I guess you'd need good interpolation when using VR. And if the time steps are quite far appart the interpolation would cover up most of the jitters. Your head movement of course would have to be very reactive, but things controlled by the other players don't have to be.

Nothings ever easy. :oops:

13. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Wrong forum. Read forum descriptions, and rules then post properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.