Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Unity3d be portable? Can it run without installing anything on the machine?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by diy_luksan, Oct 11, 2020.

1. diy_luksan

diy_luksan

Hello, and thanks for your atention.

So here's my problem. I've had unity3d in my laptop for quite a while, but it had a system crash due to overheating (I live in Brazil, and the temperatures this summer are going up to 40° Celsius in my city; about 104 °F).

So, my laptop is currently in tech support, and I only have the laptop of my mother's workplace, that she is using to do remote control of her own workstation from home, due to Covid's lockdown.
    Out of working hours, I can use it as well, but on the rule that I can't install anything on it. But I can run whatever I want, as long as in doesn't leave any files or registry.

So unfortunatelly, I can't install Unity Hub or Editor in this machine. Is there any way to run Unity from a USB Flash drive? Without installing files on the computer running it?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I'm going to guess the only way would be through some sort of Virtual Machine software, which you would have to first install of course. In any case Unity has an intrusive sneaky licensing system, so that would probably leave files around too.

3. Mauri

Mauri

There's no portable version of the Unity Editor, unfortunately. Without installing anything, you won't be able to use Unity.