Search Unity

Can Unity upgrade to MonoDevelop 3 +

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by maxfax2009, Jun 23, 2012.

1. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

Can Unity please update to MonoDevelop 3 + maybe this can be done for Unity 4

New Features and Improvements

This release contains lots of new features and improvements. Here is a summary of the new features. You will find a more detailed description in the What's new in MonoDevelop 3.0 page.

New C# code completion engine
    More accurate and reliable code completion and navigation
    Much faster Find References and Rename operations
    Semantic highlighting for C# files
    More reliable on the fly code formatter
    Experimental source analysis and contextual fixes
    Virtual indent mode in the text editor
    New MonoMac addin
    Visual UI Designer for Mono for Android
    Revamped Assembly Browser
    Preliminary support for Portable Library Projects (PLP)
    Faster loading and building of large projects

And plenty of bug fixes in all MonoDevelop features.

Please see What's new in MonoDevelop 3.0 for more details.

2. c-Row

c-Row

Came here to ask the same. Do we have to wait for UT to integrate MonoDevelop 3 into Unity, or will it work out of the box if we just install the latest version? I remember seeing some threads about getting older versions of Unity and MonoDevelop to play nice with each other.

3. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

so no word from UT

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity has not even upgraded to MD 2.8 yet due to their custom implementations.

Requested it some time ago already cause the core on which Unity MD runs is extremly sluggish and has some major memory problems. Especially on osx where Xamarin changed major things with MD 2.8+

5. DaveLloyd

DaveLloyd

Let me add my voice to this request. Monodevelop has been a pretty shonky IDE but MD 3.0 looks like they might be starting to get serious about software engineering. My biggest frustration with using Unity has been the poor toolchain support which is a shame when it is such a great platform itself.

6. Novack

Novack

dreamora, would you point me to the link of your request? Im trying to add votes to existing feedback rather than create new ones.

So far, this looks like the best request, and there Im puting my votes. I invite others to do the same:

MonoDevelop Add-in instead of Custom version of MonoDevelop

7. Hamlet-Archer

Hamlet-Archer

would be nice to have some of the newer monodevelop features. ;)

8. geniuscd

geniuscd

+1 I also add my voice to MD 3+

9. pateras

pateras

I'd like to see this happen as well.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

+1, the current version of MonoDevelop is quite frankly appalling. The code completion makes me want want to smash something from time to time :D

gauravtiwari7593 likes this.
  11. mescalin

mescalin

0 to -1 undecided

i cannot necessarily agree from a software development perspective I find Monodevelop to be pretty awesome, maybe I have just have less time out of Web Ide's and writing with notepad++.

So it works, if the new update seems to include some extensive rewrites, I leave it to unity to decide when is appropriate to introduce this update. I am skeptical really about what extra things an IDE could offer, I have no speed issues, also we don't develop on android, we already have sematic highlighting... i'd like some new colour schemes if that's what it means +1

12. Novack

Novack

Well, if you think MD is not for you, or even that an IDE is not for you, thats ok. Most programmers coming from either other engines or other areas of development are used to make great use of the capabilities of a well featured IDE in the day to day work. Specially regarding debugging that seens to be something you're not using.

In any case, this thread was not mean to debate about IDEs or personal preferences regarding them, but to enable those who *ARE* using MonoDevelop, to point out that using a custom and rather old version of the IDE is quite annoying.

13. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

MonoDevelop 3.0 Please!

14. GeneBox

GeneBox

+1 upgrade that damn IDE already.

15. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

we are a mixed osx/windows team.. and would really like to stick to the common MonoDevelop!
    SublimeText 2 is nice.. but 3.0 would rock! please Unity, we hope you're already testing it, right?

16. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

just discovered that MonoDevelop 4.0 is out (downloading http://monodevelop.com/Download )
    if it works (i can live without debugging for the time) i'll let you know

17. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

for the press:

"Xamarin has today announced Xamarin Studio, an evolution of the MonoDevelop IDE with tons of improvements. All the new code has been merged into the MonoDevelop repository and will be the foundation for future MonoDevelop and Xamarin Studio releases. If you want to try the new MonoDevelop/Xamarin Studio you can get installers for Mac and Windows from the MonoDevelop download page."

i'm getting some problems installing the correct MonoFramework to make it work.. but it seems they are updating all packages..

maybe Unity hasn't been updating MonoDevelop because they new that Xamarin Studio was coming out?

18. Novack

Novack

19. mindlube

mindlube

Yep it's Monodevelop 4.0 . On the OS X, I renamed the monodevelop that came with Unity, then put Xamarin Studio into the Unity folder and renamed it MonoDevelop.app. It works perfectly (for C# development that is). It even opens files on the correct line # etc. For Debugging or Unity-Javascript, you need to stick with Unity-Monodevelop.

20. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

yes, Xamarin Studio 4.0 (ex MonoDevelop) works great!

21. _Max_

_Max_

Hi Mindlube,

Will this work on Unity 3.5.7 version..Can you provide some more information.
    I'm finding some lag in my apps iOS app and think if upgrade Mono to latest it might help..

22. _Max_

_Max_

Can you provide some steps to how u managed update?

23. mindlube

mindlube

You cannot change the Mono version - it's embedded into the Unity player. We are just talking about using monodevelop as the code editor.

24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I'm curious, doesn't MonoDevelop (the one that comes with Unity) open files at the correct line?

25. mindlube

mindlube

Haha- ah yes; so it was silly of me to write that observation. It's not the case with many other 3rd party editors though. But Xamarin Studio is basically monodevelop 4.0. :)

26. frarees

frarees

27. JSwanFin

JSwanFin

I got probably the same results as you. You can get the "Unity Soft Debugger" show up in the dropdown list, if you write something to the topmost text field and erase it. However, the debugging doesn't work even it looks like it is attached. At least I couldn't get it to stop on the breakpoints I made.

28. M_Plot

M_Plot

I just updated the default Unity IDE to Xamarin Studio. Unfortunately, I code in Javascript, and since there are no add-in support for that language, I will have to go back to the MonoDevelop 2.8 version... This makes me sad. Code completion is absolutely horrible ! (in Javascript that is)

29. RElam

RElam

I just want them to upgrade because the current version they use is wildly buggy for me, and on a good day barely works for an hour or so after forcing me to reboot. I'm fine using VS for my IDE, as it's also better than MD even on it's best behavior, but having such a buggy debugger makes me sad, and less productive :(.

30. geniuscd

geniuscd

+1 for monoDevelop 4.. MD 2.8 is buggy
    waiting for you Unity Team to implement it with the later release of unity 4.2+
    meanwhile, anyone get it working ? do i just download and install and ....voila?! or some other stuff has to be made?

31. Ox_

Ox_

I found this post about moving to Xamarin Studio manually. But the solutions seems to be a bit unstable.

Any news from the Unity team about upgrading? MD 2.8 is really clumsy, it even doesn't have custom class highlighting.

32. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

MonoDevelop 4 will come integrated with Unity 4.3!

33. _Max_

_Max_

R u sure, I heard license issues, doh

34. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

it was shown yesterday at Unite's keynote!

35. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

The latest version of Xamarin Studio has a File->Print option in the menu, so hopefully that will be in MD 4 too. Just make sure you have your work saved before trying that because I tried it on two different PC with two different printers and XS threw exceptions on both and ended up with blocked UI, so I had to kill the processes. It's still the same MD as we know it, but with new features and new bugs. :p

37. Lohoris2

Lohoris2

Well, honestly "printing" is not exactly the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about code...

38. mindlube

mindlube

Yah it's also kind of getting to be a holy-war issue with http://www.sublimetext.com/ . It's a really nice text+code editor, but a vocal minority of users are kinda peeved it doesn't offer printing capability. I am surprised Monodevelop doesnt do printing. It seems so full featured.

39. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

True! :) The last time I've printed some source code was probably in the early 90's. I didn't have a PC at home and I wanted to look at some code after work.

But it might be very useful to print text files! Think readme files, documentation, keyboard shortcut lists, etc...

My best guess why MonoDevelop doesn't support printing would be because it doesn't have word-wrap feature, something that printing wouldn't make any sense without it. What's the point if you can print only the beginnings of deeply nested lines of code? Or if you can only see the first line of paragraphs in a text file? On the screen you can scroll left and right and still see everything.

I might be wrong because word-wrap feature is pretty simple to implement for viewing/printing only for text files. It gets more complicated for code if you want to format it nicely as Sublime Text does that on the screen, with wrapped code dynamically indented one tab space more than the beginning of line. On the other hand, editing word-wrapped text gets surprisingly more complicated! I was struggling for a couple of months (!) to get that done in Script Inspector 2. Even the simplest implementation requires deep changes in the core of the mouse and keyboard handling algorithms, and it redefines the basic concepts of how text selection were represented internally. And the simplest implementation in fact is not enough for handling very long paragraphs, so it also required lots of optimization tricks... No matter how simple that looks at first sight, it's actually a quite complex feature that not many code editors can afford to have.

40. casey945

casey945

MonoDevelop 3.0 Please!

41. budwheizzah

budwheizzah

MonoDevelop 4+ is really an insult to.... typing. It's hideous and unusable. MonoDevelop 3.0 please!

Yash987654321 likes this.