Search Unity

Can Unity run on Raspberry Pi 3 B+?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by FooJayson95, Mar 16, 2019.

1. FooJayson95

FooJayson95

Hi guys, i had a question to ask. My project is about creating a VR game on Unity and play it on Raspberry Pi 3 B+, so I wanna know, is this possible? If not i might have to change my project.
    Thanks in advance!

2. WhosTheBoss

WhosTheBoss

Yes, it's possible.
    You can install Android on your Raspberry pi. And then create an Android Unity project

3. FooJayson95

FooJayson95

Wow really? This really give me a boost in confident for this project.
    Do you have any tutorials? Because what I googled is that, there are too many version of androids for raspberry. I don’t know how to pick
    PS: I’m still new to both unity and raspberry

4. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

No idea about the Android installing part but for VR to be a good experience you need get a really good and constant framerate which might be truly challenging with its GPU.

5. FooJayson95

FooJayson95

Sorry, not like VR. just the controller. The game is on 2D background, the VR i meant is the control only. Just hand movements.

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Note that raspberry pi has a very limited GPU in comparison to your typical android phone which Unity's Android support is intended for. Run some tests yourself before you invest too much effort into such a project.

7. zezba9000

zezba9000

Don't use RPI, there are way better devices out there that officially support Android. RPI does not.
    * OrangePI
    * BananaPI
    * Rock64: https://www.pine64.org/devices/single-board-computers/rock64/
    * etc

At this point though GNU linux is a lot faster than Android from my experience (didn't used to be that way as drivers only supported Android in the past). To bad Unity3D didn't support GNU Linux for ARM.

8. RichardKain

RichardKain

Pretty big news in this area. Raspberry Pi 4 is upon us. And the Pi line is finally going to get an upgrade to support OpenGL ES 3.0. This is going to be a real boon to anyone attempting to run Android on the Pi 4. The latest versions of Android have generally run like crap on the Pi 3 because it only supported OpenGL ES 2.0. Also, there are going to be massively expanded options for memory, as well as a proper USB 3.0 option for large-scale storage at decent speeds. 4K support as well, though for the kind of game I would target at a Pi, that isn't really significant.

Once we see a proper Android port to the Pi 4, it should be possible to port Unity projects over to it with acceptable performance. It's still not going to be a powerhouse, but it will at least be viable for modest projects.

ibyte likes this.
  9. merlinjan

merlinjan

Hi zezba9000 is there any Android pre done Image for eg. Rock64 ? - I am still newbie with this
    Best

10. zezba9000

zezba9000