Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Unity pull off my goals?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by UnleadedGames, Feb 17, 2008.

1. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you guys really hate these posts and I hate to be one to start a thread asking if Unity will be able to handle my dreams and concepts. I know pretty much the answer will be "its all in your code and how you optimize the assets", but I'm hoping someone with experience could give me some better insight to the problems and challenges that Unity could show me in my development.

Bottom line, I want to create a Motor City Online a clone. For those of you who don't remember MCO was an EA title that they dropped like a bag of rocks when the Fast and the Furious came about. MCO was all about online racing. It was a massive multiplayer online racing game. But it wasn't so massive... you could only race 4-6 other people tops and chat in IRC style chat rooms. Regardless it all worked off of a massive database for parts and cars that could be sold and traded amongst other players.

I pretty much want to recreate a game like this but with an updated approach. I'm not trying to reinvent the first person shooter or the next big arcade racer. I just want to be able to have over 300 people in a lobby chatting and be able to start a game with 4-6 people and be able to pick a track, car, and weather conditions and go race. The catch though is that after they are done racing the engine transmits the data back to the server and saves who won, had the best times and etc and then can distribute prizes and cash accordingly.

With that being said, would Unity be able to pull this off? I only ask because I don't want to make the mistake of buying a $2200 mac only to find out that Unity is not what I am looking for. I thank anyone for their help and opinions. Thank you!

- Ken

2. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Unity can't make a CD drive print cash, but that is about the only problem you would run into with some project like this. (Other than the fact that creating a multiplayer action game is a very difficult task no matter how you do it)

3. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

LOL, thank you. I was building the game in Torque and it has been nothing but a nightmare as far as creating assets such as roads/tracks, and the networking has not been a real treat either. But from the demos I have played the physics in unity seem to be very very nice compared to ODE. What are your thoughts about Unity's Ageia PhysX compared to other engines such as GameStudio or Torque?

4. WarpZone

WarpZone

Well, one big difference off the top of my head: Only games built with the PhysX engine can bennefit from PhysX brand PPU cards.

Now, not many people have a PPU at this point, because no game requires a PPU, because not many people have one, etc. And PPUs have been around for long enough gathering dust that it's starting to look like they may never take off. But we'll see what happens after Crysis becomes the new standard for "Next-Gen."

It might only take one truly excellent game to usher in a new age of mandatory PPUs and elaborate collapsing structures.

But yeah, that's the biggest difference I can think of, off the top of my head. PPU support.

I've got no idea if other, competing brands of PPU exist or not. If they do, I have no clue whether other cards have started trying to support the PhysX engine. Frankly the last time I researched or read anything about PPUs was back when they first hit the scene, and everyone said they were gonna set a new standard in gaming and all that. Then silence.

With GPUs, you saw a lot of competiton to achieve the same speeds and featureset on both cards, which eventually led to games being coded to cater to both ATI and Nvidia cards whenever possible, up until a certian point where GPUs were so fast it didn't matter much which API the game was using, and number of draw commands had a bigger impact on FPS than number of polygons drawn.

But I don't think we'll see this level of competition among GPUs unless and until they become a staple of gaming as opposed to the early-adopter accessory they are now.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

This is a topic with a bit about PhysX vs. ODE.

And I bet Yoggy could do a shader that makes the CD drive print cash if he tried. ;)

--Eric

6. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

First off, you are going to love Unity's asset pipeline. As far as getting things into your game quickly and never having to do anything over again, its great.

Secondly, I don't know about other physics engines so you should probably look at the link Eric posted, but I know that the physics engine that is in Unity works. And once you understand it, you can do anything with it. And even if you don't understand it, you can probably get something simple working without many hitches.