Search Unity

Can Unity plays on 2 graphic cards on one single machine?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by UnityExplorer, Nov 19, 2009.

1. UnityExplorer

UnityExplorer

Hi there,

We are testing to play Unity with 4 horizontally spanned monitors/projectors on one single machine. We have two graphic cards installed on the machine and set each of the cards' two outputs to horizontal span. So we have 4 outputs. But it seems that Unity cannot take the two cards in horizontal span mode although for Windows application, e.g Explorer, there is no problem to stretch the application window spanning over to the 4 monitors. My hardware guy says maybe it's because Unity cannot recognise the additional/multiple graphic cards. So I wonder is there any settings in Unity Editor to pre-set for more than one graphic cards? I did check the player settings but didn't find such thing. Appreciate your help here.

Thanks.
    KK

2. tion80

tion80

any comment on this question? we're doing similar thing but having trouble in setting it up.

3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yeah, Unity currently works on a single GPU (Crossfire or SLI setups are fine, but those are just for boosting the performance).

What people used instead:

1. Using a super-high resolution, and some special hardware "splitter" that splits image into sub-regions that go into separate monitors. All driven by a single graphics card.

2. Latest Radeon cards (Radeon HD 5xxx) have EyeFinity mode, where you can connect 3 (or more?) displays to a single card. This is similar to above, but no custom splitter required.

3. Run separate Unity executables on separate machines, each connected to their own display. Separate executables display different portions of "the world", and if needed, communicate over sockets or a similar mechanism.

4. Quite likely, some other solution(s) that I'm not aware of.