Search Unity

Feedback Can Unity organize and make new tutorials in a better way?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrPTF, May 15, 2020.

1. DrPTF

DrPTF

Hi Unity Staff,

I'm a newbie game developer (thanks to Covid19) and I would like to first thank you for this great software. The newbie tutorial projects are nice and hooked me up, but as soon as I tried to make my own game from scratch, I have run into many issues. It took me a few days to find a menu tutorial that works, in a limited way. There are a lot of official and unofficial tutorials on the web, but it's huge patchwork and very varied quality. I have the following suggestions:

1) Please structure your tutorials so that even a newbie can make a game from scratch. The sample games are nice, but tweaking them didn't teach me enough to make my own game. I want to see reliable tutorials for making most of the essential systems that you can find in modern games such as menus (and how to link them to other scenes), save system, options, inventory, cash shop, etc. All that in a step by step way. For example, how to start from an empty scene, make menu, make and link scenes for game and other functions later. There are tutorials for them, but they are all over the place right now.

2) The best tutorial I have seen so far is the one about rigging 3D character. I feel like I have really learned something new and it was engaging. I have dozed off on a few other tutorials though. Some tutorials are too basic, and do not help to build toward larger things. The person making the tutorial has to show changing things instead of just narrating mostly. And there are those tutorials where even if I copy the exact code, I get error (to be clear, this is mostly from unofficial tutorials). Please review or make new tutorials with reliability, scalability, interconnection, ease of understanding and audience engagement in mind.

Thanks for your great work so far, and hope for improvements!

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The learn section used to be our pride and joy... Now not so much.

thelebaron likes this.
  3. LordSwaggelore

LordSwaggelore

I would agree that learning unity isn't very straightforward right now. As a newbie myself I would say the the scattered architecture of unity features in (in parts uncompleted) packages would have to be compensated with very clear learning material where you get a overview what the main systems are which exist in parallel (different render pipelines, Mono Behaviour/DOTS etc.) and which of them are recommended for beginners + a clear place where to start.