Search Unity

Can Unity be used for Adventure games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Azel, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Azel

Azel

Question:
    I’ve been looking at different 3D game engines on:

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/

I am planning on making a small adventure game. After reading up on the different 3D game engines, I decided Unity Pro might be the best for my game project. My only concern is that my game is an adventure game, not a shooter. Do you have any suggestions either fore of against using Unity for adventure game creation?

Is there another 3D game engine that would be better suited for such a game? An adventure game is mostly about the player using point and click puzzle solving and working with inventory. A 3D game engine that is constructed mostly, or only, for making a shooter game may not work for me. Since I have no experience with Unity, I am not sure if I have made the best choice.

Thanks
    Azel

2. JRavey

JRavey

There is no reason it wouldn't work, most engines are quite general purpose.

3. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Yes, yes it can. You could try shiva3d, but I think Unity is a lot better personally. Although I may be a bit biased.

Personally, Unity is probably the easiest game engine to use for 3d stuff.

"A 3D game engine that is constructed mostly, or only, for making a shooter game may not work for me" that aint Unity.

4. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

That is the genre game I am working on for quite some time now (new to actual game creation)
    all you need is the scripts for your inventory and items (pick up from game world, place into game world),
    puzzles of various kinds (and their solutions and what happens when solved/unsolved)
    and anything else you want to be a part of the game.
    I farm all my scripting out.
    It helps to have a guy with a Masters in Computer Sciences to do your scripting,
    to take your ideas and put them into a working game structure.

:)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  5. DallonF

DallonF

Every so often one of these topics pops up, and the answer is always the same: if you can code worth half a byte, you can make anything with Unity.
    Unity's structure isn't geared towards any type of game or genre; instead of coming with default stuff that you half to tear down to switch genres, you start with just about nothing and code everything in. Don't worry, with Unity's workflow you'll have a basic game working in no time.

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Three big advantages to Unity over its competition IMO:

1. Asset handling - You're not likely to find an engine that handles assets better than Unity. I use Unity Pro + Blender + Gimp and constantly bounce back and forth between the three, editing, tweaking and saving. The entire process is smooth and easy.

2. Examples and support - There are literally thousands of sample scripts, projects, tutorials, etc. etc. here on the forums, the wiki, the Unity resources pages, various wikis, etc. I don't know of another engine that can say the same.

3. Price - You won't find a better deal than what Unity Tech offers with their standard version. It's free and yet you can still use it for commercial purposes. To be honest, although the price for Pro might seem steep, for what you get it's still a very good deal.

7. VPrime

VPrime

Only ninja adventure games. If you try and make a pirate adventure game unity will crash.
    :)

8. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

"If you try and make a pirate adventure game unity will crash."
    Haven't checked the release notes but I think that has been fixed in 3.2. :)

9. Jesse Anders

Jesse Anders

What gave you the impression that Unity is specifically geared towards that type of game?

10. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I might even go so far as to say Unity is bad for shooters, compared to some of the alternatives. Unity is more of a general engine for any genre. It is not specifically tailored for any.

11. oxl

oxl

Let me guess, it was the soldier on the Unity splash screen .

--
    oxl

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  12. Azel

Azel

Thanks for the replys guys. It sounds like I can use Unity for my adventure game.

13. elvis75k

elvis75k

a more serious splash screen is indeed suggested..

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  14. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

I suggest this as a splash screen (With the release version number to complete the 3):

Keep It Simple.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  15. lankoski

lankoski

In my experience, Unity works well with adventure game logic and various code snippets or full source codes for can be found on this forum of on Unify wiki. For example, our Lies and Seductions (a small 3D adventure-gamish game) code is available (http://mlab.taik.fi/~plankosk/blog/?p=30) if you want to take look at under the hood before making your decision and the game is also available for download for free.

16. onald

onald

17. taumel

taumel

What kind of adventure game? If you mean something like a point&click adventure then i only would recommend Unity if you're a little bit more experienced as otherwise using one of the game engines which focus on adventures solely let you concentrate a lot more on the inner values of the game instead of implementing otherwise missing functionality on your own first. If that's a no brainer for you, then Unity is an option.

18. TehWut

TehWut

Unity is General Purpose, better for adventure games than UDK or CE3 most likely.

19. typane

typane

I know this is irrelevant but your avatar looks like Brad Pitt. haha

20. kashhatton

kashhatton

21. lankoski

lankoski