Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Can this asset be used in commercial game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JCO123456, Feb 14, 2023.

1. JCO123456

JCO123456

2. Amon

Amon

These assets are from a game.

It seems this guy is selling stuff that is royalty free, according to what I've read. Be very careful and report this seller.

3. JCO123456

JCO123456

4. kdgalla

kdgalla

The user name on the asset store account is the same name as one of the authors of this Princeland game, so it could be that the guy just made assets for his own game and then decided to sell his assets in the store too. Could be an imposter, of course.

Ryiah, JCO123456 and Amon like this.
  5. JCO123456

JCO123456

Yes. this asset is in Princeland Game. Do you know how to contact developers of this game? How can I find contact ways(email or others) on the page? Maybe that's the only way to know that the asset is safe.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/914290/Welcome_to_Princeland/

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 1.47.50 PM.png

6. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is unknown. I'd skip the asset because of this uncertainty.

r31o, JCO123456 and Amon like this.
  7. Amon

Amon

Yes, I would not risk your money on this asset. Currently looking at the evidence which is mixed it's a 50/50 on whether you will be ripped off.

Look for a different asset and don't risk it.

JCO123456 likes this.
  8. unitedone3D

unitedone3D

Dear fubbi1000, just a 2 cents. TL DR: serhatyucekaya1@gmail.com

I often (also) face these questions about certain assets, wether legit or not (can't say..?); .. (to) be(ing) on the safer side; it is better not to use something 'looking not-legit' as others said.

You can reach the seller via email to ask about their asset:

serhatyucekaya1@gmail.com

or (also) on the artstation or instagram, you can send a direct message there to him/her (make an account and reach the person to ask).
    https://www.artstation.com/serhatyucekaya
    https://www.instagram.com/jackasssero/?hl=en

When you reach someone, and they don't respond...it can leave you in doubt/uncertainty...either they are not available/busy...or don't want to respond to you/to your request (in this case, your question; not answering it/ignoring it,
    on purpose -- in that case, it might not be so legit).

From the pages, I mean, it is this person, on the Steam page, there are two developers named there, His is there. So, as kdgalla said, it could very well be that he is selling an asset from his game; since, he is one of the 2 developers for this game (Welcome to Princeland). there is notthing 'illegit' about this.

Unless, as said, he is impostor and did not make this asset or 'posing' as someone else (as this person Serhat Yucekaya); because, I doubt that Steam name Serhat Yucekaya...is fake...Steam requires the names of the dev -- if they are sole proprieatorship (or in this case, 2 people, 2 sole proprietors, not incorporated company); so this name, is true and yes, there are 2 people/2 devs on name for this game. Including his. So, it is more than 50/50 chance...it's more 60/40 that it is true. And thus is legit.

He said the asset is part of the game Welcome to Princeland (of wish, he is 1 of 2 devs...we suppose); his artstation page he is 3D artist from Turkey. So this model, is likely (or, more) likely to be his creation -- we see this model in the game trailer and screenshot (on Staem page).
    He said 'Royalty Free' which means you do not have to pay - more/another price - after buying it; like there no more license fees to pay (that's what Royalty Free means...it does not mean - free; it means no more - to pay...AFTER you paid a license fee --- or the seller can Can the model 'free' and put the 'royalty free' license..as in, he is giving is model free..and you have nothing (else/extra) to paid after you have it..because the confusion is that people think it's 'free' because royalty Free*...only means 'no more royalties' to pay...and generally, you Have to pay a Royalty - First...and then its 'Royalty Free'

Royalty Free = 'Once you paid a license free' = No More to pay. = is 'now' payment free (which is kind of evident...but makes confusion...you paid a license fee...'no more' to pay).

And the reason it is written so..is Because -sometimse- you Have to Pay More...there are More Royalties..to pay after you Already paid a license fee...so it's Not Done..there are moer 'restrictions' or 'special license fees' that you obviously did not know ...and now you have to pay those Too...on top of the regular license fee...

It's why they calll it Royalty Free....you pay once -- and done..no more; thus (no more) Royalties. ---> Royalty Free.

(but as said, many put Royalty Free --- and --- they are completely Free; you pay nothing. But it does bring to confusion for other sellers that put Royalty Free - and ask a license fee ------> they mean, you will pay Nothing Else...Once you paid the license fee.).

Thanks for reading,
    Just a 2 cents.

PS: If I were you, I would be on the cautious side; but more signs are pointing to him being legit (than not). Because Steam game dev names are unlikely to be fake names; it,S ony if the person is posturing/impostoring/impersonating this Mr. Yucekaya; that we 'think' 'is real' is true...). If safer safer side, don't buy it. But, it seems more legit than not. And there is nothing wrong of selling your own (made) assets of your Own game; of which (we think) he is one of the 2 devs who game this/his(?) game. There is no 100% surefire way to be certain; but the Steam names are quite true and the model in this game; like...and the names fit...so it's starting to fit/make sense/look legit --enough.

JCO123456 and Amon like this.
  9. razzraziel

razzraziel

That's a good profile. None of the assets on his store matches those tho. But he has the same butcher character on his youtube and his unity store so it seems legit. Yeah ask him directly on his youtube or artstation.

JCO123456 likes this.
  10. JCO123456

JCO123456

Thanks for so detailed reply. I'm actually more inclined to trust him, rather than 50/50 , because of it's unnecessary to write down game's name if he is an impostor.

11. krupps

krupps

12. halley

halley

I have yet to see any asset on the Unity Asset Store which is sold on a royalty basis. It's technically possible to have a non-standard license but the Store draws attention to that with a special marker. The products listed in this thread all seem to use the standard Unity license. The standard license is "you bought it, you can use it if it's integrated in games, you can't sell it or offer it individually." No mention of how many games, no mention of how many game sales, no mention of how much game revenue. The word "Royalty" does not appear in the Unity Asset Standard License nor the Asset Store's EULA. Thus, it's "Royalty Free," or free of any royalty agreements or terms.

If an artist did have a royalty license through some other venue, they'd have to prove you bought it through that other venue agreeing to those terms. Meanwhile, if you have the Unity Asset Store receipt, they could go pound sand.

Ryiah likes this.
  13. erenaydin

erenaydin

Hello, I am the developer of Welcome to Princeland.
    That asset is belong to him, he has the all rights with it. We just used it in our commercial game project, which means you can use that asset on your commercial projects.
    Serhat Yucekaya was my partner on Welcome to Princeland.

atomicjoe, JCO123456 and Murgilod like this.