Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Can the taskbar icon of a Unity game be hidden?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Weightless, May 12, 2020.

1. Weightless

Weightless

I want to hide/remove the game's taskbar icon without hiding the game window itself. Since there is no simple option in Unity to do this, I have tried hiding the icon using WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW, following this example:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8243588/c-sharp-hiding-an-application-from-the-taskbar, but had no luck.
    Here: https://answers.unity.com/questions/1314410/make-application-close-to-the-tray.html, it is suggested that "-batchmode" can hide the taskbar icon, which is true but this command hides the window too.

Achieving this should be possible since here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52031400/place-an-applications-icon-into-system-tray, using WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW someone was able to hide the icon so I am definitely doing something wrong. This is how my code looks like right now:

Code (CSharp):
    2.         [DllImport("User32.dll")]
    3.         public static extern int SetWindowLong(IntPtr hWnd, int nIndex, int dwNewLong);
    4.         [DllImport("User32.dll")]
    5.         public static extern int GetWindowLong(IntPtr hWnd, int nIndex);
    7.         [DllImport("user32.dll")]
    8.         static extern bool ShowWindow(IntPtr hWnd, int nCmdShow);
    10.         private const int SW_HIDE = 0x00;
    11.         private const int SW_SHOW = 0x05;
    12.         private const int GWL_EXSTYLE = -0x14;
    13.         private const int WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW = 0x0080;
    15.         void Start()
    16.         {
    17.             IntPtr pMainWindow = Process.GetProcessesByName("Game")[0].MainWindowHandle;
    18.             ShowWindow(pMainWindow, SW_HIDE);
    19.             SetWindowLong(pMainWindow, GWL_EXSTYLE, GetWindowLong(pMainWindow, GWL_EXSTYLE) | ~WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW);
    20.             ShowWindow(pMainWindow, SW_SHOW);
    21.         }

Just to be clear, I'm talking about this taskbar icon:

2. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Did you check the logs?
    you can find the logs here (replace username, CompanyName, ProductName):
    C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\CompanyName\ProductName\Player.log

It is likely that the process cannot be found and throws an exception. But you are trying to access the currentProcess anyway I guess, so you could simply use
    Process.GetCurrentProcess()

For the actual interop and logic I am not an expert and cannot tell you if that code would work or not.

Weightless likes this.
  3. StarManta

StarManta

Line 17 looks problem-prone to me. When I've done this sort of thing in the past I've used:
    Code (csharp):
    2.         [DllImport("user32.dll")]
    3.         static extern IntPtr GetActiveWindow();
    maybe try that instead to assign your pMainWindow?

Weightless likes this.
  4. Weightless

Weightless

Thanks a lot, got it working. Part of the problem was indeed that the process/window could not be found, but with @StarManta's suggestion, using GetActiveWindow() the window can be found and then to hide the taskbar you have to make the window a tool window using WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW. It's important that you DON'T use the "~'" character because that is I assume for removing attributes. So anyway thanks a lot for the help and here is the final code to remove the taskbar icon of a Unity application:

Code (CSharp):
    2. using System;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. using System.Diagnostics;
    6. using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
    7. using UnityEngine;
    9. public class HideTaskbarIcon : MonoBehaviour
    10. {
    11.     [DllImport("user32.dll")]
    12.     static extern IntPtr GetActiveWindow();
    13.     [DllImport("User32.dll")]
    14.     public static extern int SetWindowLong(IntPtr hWnd, int nIndex, int dwNewLong);
    15.     [DllImport("User32.dll")]
    16.     public static extern int GetWindowLong(IntPtr hWnd, int nIndex);
    18.     private const int GWL_EXSTYLE = -0x14;
    19.     private const int WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW = 0x0080;
    21.     void Start()
    22.     {
    23.         IntPtr pMainWindow = GetActiveWindow();
    24.         SetWindowLong(pMainWindow, GWL_EXSTYLE, GetWindowLong(pMainWindow, GWL_EXSTYLE) | WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW);  
    25.     }
    26. }

steril and Hosnkobf like this.
  5. ksam2

ksam2

6. ruudvangaal

ruudvangaal

Be careful that your game is indeed the Active Window. Not always true if some other window is active (like running your game through another process). Also, ~ is a bitwise inversion, ~WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW means 'all bits EXCEPT WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW'.

Bunny83 likes this.
  7. Bunny83

Bunny83

Right, you would use it as a mask to get rid of the bit. However for that you would use the bitwise and operator. So while this line does set the bit:

Code (CSharp):
    1. SetWindowLong(pMainWindow, GWL_EXSTYLE, GetWindowLong(pMainWindow, GWL_EXSTYLE) | WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW);  
    this line would remove it:

Code (CSharp):
    1. SetWindowLong(pMainWindow, GWL_EXSTYLE, GetWindowLong(pMainWindow, GWL_EXSTYLE) & ~WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW);  
    but still keep all other bits that were set before.