Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone tell me where this screen-aligned tiled flicker comes from in HDRP?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by bac9-flcl, Apr 8, 2019.

1. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

I've been testing the new Decal master node in HDRP and encountered the issue you can observe above: chunks of a surface rendered with a graph utilizing that node flicker in and out in screen-aligned squares. I verified it has nothing to do with z-fighting (already adjusted relevant properties of the material and shifted underlying surface around), so it must be something else. Screen-aligned flicker in perfectly even squares is especially weird - as if it was some sort of an issue with tiled rendering.

The issue only happens when opacity inputs of the Decal master node are filled with an alpha value sampled from a texture - leaving them at constant 1 and disconnected from the graph makes the artifact disappear. Since the artifact appears even over areas with exact texture alpha value of 1, I doubt this has anything to do specifically with the structure of my graph - it might just be a shader generation bug.