Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone please explain to me how the package manager is supposed to work?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by MrDude, Jul 20, 2018.

1. MrDude

MrDude

When I install the Oculus utilities I have one package that I install and I am done. Yet according to the package manager I have an Oculus standalone and an Oculus mobile version. What the heck is the difference and why are there two when Oculus themselves only offer one?

Next, I installed OpenVR from the asset store and verified it works just fine. In the package manager I see it only lists version 1.0.0 and states it is not installed in my project. Huh?????

Then I went and installed the GoogleVR package that I downloaded from the internet and that doesn't show up in the package manger before or after I installed it so what's the deal with that? Isn't GoogleVR what you use to build for Daydream? Then why is there no package listed for it before or after I installed it? Incidentally, after I installed it it is listed under the XR settings as "Daydream (Not Installed)". Wtf? But I think that is a separate issue.

Point is, from what I can see the package manager is doing absolutely nothing. It is completely useless and nothing but a waste of space. What am I not seeing here? Why does this thing exist?

2. _karl

_karl

1. Unity wants to archive smaller build size with the package manager. I think therefore there are two Oculus packages.
    2. Asset Store and Package manager are two different things.
    3. Not all packages are ported to the package manager yet.
    4. At the moment, only Unity's own Package repository is accessible, later on there will be more repositories for packages I think.

3. dreammakersgroupAdmin

dreammakersgroupAdmin

I disabled all packages (Built in also ) but still getting same build size, why?

4. Kylotan

Kylotan

Probably because those packages weren't going into the build in the first place?

5. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hello all,

@_karl and @Kylotan are right on the money. Just curious, how did you "disable" the packages and builtins?

Cheers,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

6. dreammakersgroupAdmin

dreammakersgroupAdmin

Window > Package manager > All
    then click remove for normal package, and click disable button for builtin package
    then I did windows PC build.
    I checked the build folder It had a lot of files related to packages i removed from package manager

7. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hello @dreammakersgroupAdmin,

There might be an issue with the code stripping and built-ins. I'm discussing this with the team and we will check back with you. Thanks for reporting.

Cheers,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

8. Newbilius

Newbilius

Attached Files:

9. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Removing built-in packages only has an effect on platforms which support "Engine code stripping" (currently only on il2cpp when using WebGL, iOS, Android, possibly some consoles or UWP AFAIK).