Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone give me the general lowdown on updating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by p_hergott, Nov 9, 2021.

1. p_hergott

p_hergott

By updating i mean a published project. Im pretty confident in coding in general and have done a fair bit, but one thing ive never looked into. Is if i make some game. Say its beta, and i publish that, then i end up doing like a weekly update or monthly. Is it similar to collab? Like project files are up in the magic cloud, you do x changes and commit those changes with a new version number?

2. kittik

kittik

When it comes to patching, I only have experience with Steam and exes.

In my experience, I have to replace the build and its relevant resources with the newly built version.

p_hergott and Nefera like this.
  3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Unity has no built-in facility for patching your build. You'd have to work with other software and whatever features your publishing platform provides (or implement yourself, of course).

Like kittik says, the most basic scenario is that you just make a new build and have players replace their old build with the new one.

p_hergott and Nefera like this.
  4. Nefera

Nefera

This depends on the platform but generally speaking you submit a new build each time you want to update your game. So .exe for windows, apk for Android etc. There are settings for this in build/player settings in Unity such as version number and build id.

p_hergott likes this.