Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Can someone explain what does "SRP is now embedded" mean?

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by bitinn, Sep 13, 2021.

1. bitinn

bitinn

Hi,

I haven't been able to find any literature on this, but Core RP, URP, HDRP docs have all said they are now embedded inside Unity.

Does it mean:

- SRP packages are smaller?

- SRP dependencies are more stable?

- Updating SRP package alone won't change any API?

- We can install both URP and HDRP in the same project?

- We will soon be able to switch between URP and HDRP?

Seems like we are heading towards this direction but how far along are we in Unity 2021.2?

2. runner78

runner78

It actually just says that a version of HDRP or URP is installed with Unity and you don't need to manually update them over the packet manager.

HDRP and URP cannot be installed in a project at the same time, but as far as I have heard, Unity wants to make this possible at some point in the future.

3. bitinn

bitinn

But, this is not true in my experience, I still have to install HDRP v12 and URP v12 to enable these features.

4. runner78

runner78

I don't know how it is when you have existing projects, but if you start a new HDRP / URP project in 2021.2 it should use the included package.

5. bitinn

bitinn

weird, I started fresh from a 3D template on Unity 2021.2 beta 11, it doesn't *include* HDRP.

(obviously if I start from a HDRP template, it will include HDRP, but that's no different from before).

6. runner78

runner78

Template 3D is still built-in, which is what I mean, if you create a new HDRP or URP project, that use the version that is installed with Unity.

7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

bitinn likes this.