Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone clarify the license of FPS Engine?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rowlan, Nov 27, 2023.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

FPS Engine won the "Best Development Tool" award. However, nobody is actually allowed to use that asset when you look at the current state of the related websites.

The FPS Engine description states this:

a.png
    The link points to a Gumroad page which states this:

b.png
    Which in turn states this:

d.png

The current context means:
    • publisher isn't allowed to sell that asset
    • customers of that publisher aren't allowed to sell their games

2. bugfinders

bugfinders

well the fps engine says normal unity unlimited license, if they in turn used something perhaps they shouldnt have.. you would need to take it up with them

3. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

You are misrepresenting the website content license with the asset license.

The default asset license is the Unity Asset Store Terms of Service and EULA. Any deviation of that license (typically reserved to enterprise or affiliate publishers) will be listed on the asset store product page. But there it says „Standard .. License“.

4. Rowlan

Rowlan

How do you mean? If this from the package page on the asset store is the model of the gumroad link (why else would they refer to it in the description), then that asset is not allowed to be sold on the asset store. Nor is it entitled to win an award. Nor is anyone who purchases that asset allowed to use it for the creation of a commercial game.

u.png

5. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Oh sorry, my bad! :( I thought Gumroad was the publisher's website.

I tend to believe you are correct. At least in my understanding any attribution (SA) asset is not allowed, more so if it excludes commercial use (NC).

However they may have special permission from the creator of this asset. In that case they should clarify this to avoid any confusion.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    Rowlan likes this.
  6. cowsinsgames

cowsinsgames

Hi! The developer of FPS Engine here!

The rig was made by Hozq, but it is an old version which is free to use for commercial projects as long as you credit the author ( Hozq ). Newer versions of the rig on Gumroad are protected by a new license, but that is not what FPS Engine uses, so you do not need to worry about it, we even talked to Hozq himself and there is no problem about this topic.

With this I mean that yea, you are able to sell your games made with FPS Engine btw.

However, a brand new rig is coming for FPS Engine 0.9.9 which is the upcoming update!

I hope I could clarify this! Have a great day :D

CodeSmile likes this.
  7. Rowlan

Rowlan

Which one do you use? This is the oldest one I found:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230115090037/https://hozq3d.gumroad.com/l/LVA3

Doesn't have a license at all, but that doesn't mean anyone is allowed to sell it. By the way, do you know why he changed the license?

8. bugfinders

bugfinders

You may want to note that on your page so it doesnt come up again :D

cowsinsgames likes this.
  9. cowsinsgames

cowsinsgames

FPS Engine´s is 2.1, which is not for sale anymore. We discussed this with Hozq as I said, he told us he was okay with FPS Engine including his rig but he had plans to release new versions and those would include a license, in fact he released many more versions of his rig.

10. cowsinsgames

cowsinsgames

Yup! Just did, the change should be live in a few days. Thanks for letting me know! It is important to clarify this!

11. Rowlan

Rowlan

That's why you don't use stuff from the web which you don't have a license for. Or proof of a license. Nobody can verify what you say.

Yes it is :)

I hope you guys compensate him and give him the credit he deserves for his free work that you won an award with. An arms rig is a core part of any FPS asset.

12. cowsinsgames

cowsinsgames

We are aware of how helpful Hozq´s rig is and we are super grateful to him for the opportunity of including it in FPS Engine. The asset is properly credited as well!

In addition to this, 0.9.9 will feature a brand new rig that has been in the works for a while and will include the source files as well, because FPS Engine´s currently does not include them for the current rig, very excited to announce upcoming updates!

Have a great day :D

Rowlan and bugfinders like this.
  13. Rowlan

Rowlan

The credit you mention is actually removed now from your asset store page.