Search Unity

Can somebody help me to get started in rendering short films like Adam and The Blacksmith in Unity?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by BigLouis1971, Jul 8, 2017.

1. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

Specially to achieve that visual quality and also to render my scenes to video to be brought to compositing later. Thanks in advance!

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You will want to download the latest Unity 2017.1 or .2 for Timeline: https://unity3d.com/unity/beta
    And read the blog (one of many articles).

Orient:

and then install CinemaMachine from the asset store (free): https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79898

It's not a simple subject and there aren't enough learning materials at present so expect to be spending just as much time learning how to make movies in unity as you would in blender.

Unity also provide a way to render frames to video or stock, but that is WIP over here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/GenericFrameRecorder

Although asset store can still help.

Basically IMHO Unity is a couple of years away from making this all a cohesive and well documented whole... so we are all pioneers until then, which is normal I guess :)

There's a lot to take in. Lot to learn. Better to ask lots of separate questions.

3. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

Cinemachine looks awesome as a start and the frame recorder too. Now I would like to know what type of shader is better for this type of project. For now I have Uber Standard Shader. Do you have any tips to improve render quality for those?

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Consider editing and compositing externally (after effects, avid, final cut) if you want to attain the professional quality matching blacksmith/adam.
    Just make life easier and edit captured frames/video externally.
    Not all post effects have to be created in engine. Editing suites are far better at applying post effects - especially if you want to animate them - timed to in game/engine events.
    The post effect stack is really great - but editing suites have more options and greater editability / modilarity depth.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'd download the adam demo assets and other demos by unity and see how unity put together these things. I would look at the post processing stack Unity provide.

6. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

What about Hitfilm?

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Heck yeah! I've never used it but have watched several videos. Those mentioned were only examples. ;)

8. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

Lol, that's what I thought! The Express version of Hitfilm is free, even to use it commercially, but it lacks some features. I plan to download it and play with it a little bit to improve my skills. I'm excited now that I found via Google that Otoy is actually working in a integration with Unity. I think we will be able to do wonders with that combination, Blender, Unity, Octane and Hitfilm.

theANMATOR2b likes this.