Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Can one maintain the same amount of seats but have different people working on different projects

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by csetien, Oct 7, 2018.

?

Should collaborate have a per project seat usage

1. Yes please for the love of god

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no I don't like flexibility

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. csetien

csetien

I have 2 projects i am currently working on in my organisation and I have 4 seats. All 4 of my seats are taken on one project but I have another project with just 3. We are 5 and I would like to invite the other dev to the project with only 3 seats assigned to it but I cant. What i'm trying to ask is it possible to have 4 seats with 5 devs and 4 working on one project and 4 working on another with one member sharing seats? If not it should be 4 seats per project and if you need more you pay for it. I can see how someone could exploit this by working multiple projects with multiple people but it comes up to the same if you are using the same people. it should be 4 seats per project no matter who is assigned to it. I really love collab but its too expensive and not flexible enough. We should get at least 5 seats for free in the basic and 10 in the advanced i wouldn't mind paying for that kind of service. I mean Perforce is free for 5 users Unity needs to stay in the game!

2. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi @csetien,

Thank you for providing your feedback about the Collaborate service.

Currently, 1 developer is equal to 1 seat. So if there are 5 developers working within your Organization, then 5 seats will be required. There has been some discussion about making seats more flexible, but there is nothing set in stone at this stage.

We do always want to hear feedback from our users and your use case is an interesting one. Please provide any ideas and suggestions about how we could overcome this problem over at our Feedback site to raise awareness with the community and our internal development teams.

3. wpetillo

wpetillo

The kind of example described above should be treated as THE CORE use case, not "an interesting one".

As a freelance programmer, I need to be able to collaborate with clients, who are typically in charge of level-design. Thus, with every new project, I need to bring in 1-2 new collaborators (who only have access to the project they are involved in, which I am having problems setting up, but that's for another post...). If I have to pay a reasonable fee to do this, fine. But if accumulating a history of projects causes me to be classified as a large organization, that makes me nervous about using this service at all.