Search Unity

Resolved Can not remove broken installs from Unity Hub

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by MichealPeters-XW, Sep 14, 2020.

1. MichealPeters-XW

MichealPeters-XW

I had to install 2019.3 on my machine, (Don't ask why, just go with it). I used the link on the archive page that will install it though Hub, for whatever reason, this failed. I went to reinstall it, but Unity Hub says that it's already installed. I had Unity hub delete the files, which it displayed an error that it couldn't. I clicked on the show in explorer link, and manually removed the files, and it still shows the install in the list, and the can not delete files message. I should add that after every change/attempt, I have right-clicked on the Unity Hub icon in the system tray and chosen quit Unity Hub. The failed install version still shows in the installed list, I still can't remove it from that list, or reinstall it. Also, Manual installations fail, as it opens Unity Hub, which then says that it's already installed.

Help?

2. dm_bond

dm_bond

Delete downloadProgress%3A2019.3.Xf1.json from Unity Hub config dir (I do not know your OS to specify more precisely)

3. MichealPeters-XW

MichealPeters-XW

Thanks, you don't need to be more precise, cause now that I have a target I can find it :)

4. dm_bond

dm_bond

• Windows: `%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\`
    • Mac: `~/Library/Application support/UnityHub/`
    • Linux: `~/.config/UnityHub/`

5. MichealPeters-XW

MichealPeters-XW

Aww, now you've gone and made it easy :) Thank you again

6. MichealPeters-XW

MichealPeters-XW

That did the trick, Thank you very much, I have marked the thread as resolved.

7. aagun01

aagun01

thank you so much man, saved my day
    the file 'editors.json' at this folder has the path to all installed versions so relocating them need to also update this file and change the addresses

b00p likes this.
  8. LarStudio

LarStudio

Thanks a lot!
    Note for all others: make sure you end UnityHub trough the Task Manager

9. DavidZobrist

DavidZobrist

Thanks @LarStudio
    So annoying... Cmon Unity QA catch some bugs

10. Dkp2

Dkp2

In Unity Hub Version 3.4.1 (Windows) there is no downloadProgress%3A2019.3.Xf1.json or similar, can someone guide me to the .json that now holds the installs information?

nyawallow23, Vlad417 and humanMusic like this.
  11. Kila7

Kila7

I just clicked show in folder and found a uninstall appliction, clicked it and uninstalled it. it still showed it in unity hub but you just gotta restart it.

alysonlupo likes this.
  12. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

In my case there was an editor.json and an editorv2.json, both only contained info on a broken installation. After deleting the files, Unity Hub correctly identified the version as missing and I was able to install it.

DarkMageX likes this.
  13. nyawallow23

nyawallow23

Hello, I'm in that specific directory but can't find the download progress your talking about.(Though I know it can't be the same since it's a different Unity version)
    I'm trying to install Unity 2022.3.13f1 using the Unity Hub. All 'modules/packages' were pending installation except for the Editor, which was past validation and 'installing' before I accidentally turned off my computer, now it's installed but I can't open/ create a project. Please help,,

14. nyawallow23

nyawallow23

Mine didn't do anything.

15. Vajtus

Vajtus

It seems that some problems with Unity are eternal...
    I had same problem on latest version (3.7.0).
    So here are some notes that can help:
    * Unity Hub Installs tab displays Unity installs that it finds in the installation directory that can be changed in Unity Hub Settings (gear icon). So maybe switching this folder back and forth may help.
    * My guess is that "Remove" option in the Hub never works if it is not "managed" version.
    * It is possible to delete UnityHub folder in AppData and it is restored once the Hub is launched again. This may actually help to remove any broken data.
    * When I deleted the UnityHub folder, it reset the installation folder, but when I set the installation folder back to my custom destination, it also restored that unwanted installation. Well I should have deleted it first. After I deleted it, it remained in the Hub but this time, when I closed the Hub, killed all the processes and restarted the Hub, the unwanted install was gone.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  16. HurlyBurly

HurlyBurly

I had a similar problem: Unity Hub 3.7.0 showing a broken editor under the installs tab that I couldn't remove. Right clicking on the editor's panel brought up the option to 'Remove from Hub' ...but that didn't work.

After sifting through the above information, here's what worked for me (on Windows):

1. Close down Unity Hub.
    2. Go to the Unity Hub Editor folder. Delete the broken editor version.
    3. Open Task Manager. Scroll down through Background processes and click end task on all references to Unity Hub.
    4. Go to the Unity Hub folder (for windows: %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\) and delete the editorv2.json file.

Now when you reopen Unity Hub and go to the Installs tab, the editor panel for the broken version of Unity should be gone.