Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Can not Launch Unity Due to "Failed to load window layout"

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by NorthStar79, Jun 13, 2019.

1. MattRiHu

MattRiHu

As an alternative for those who have an issue with unity loading the default layout file correctly as a fix but then corrupting it again on quitting, just click "Load default layout", then open task manager and end the unity editor task. This is faster than copying the file and then deleting and replacing the corrupted file left after clicking "Quit" and seems to work fine. Presumably it's stopping the editor program from running whatever bugged scripts it does after you click "Quit" or close the window.

JoRouss, lifeisabeach and Quadropups like this.
  2. snaileater

snaileater

Yeah, hitting ALT + SHIFT to toggle my language to ENG instead of my native one fixed it and let me open the project.

3. MegaMax5000

MegaMax5000

This worked for me, thanks! I've been having this problem on and off for a few months, normally I've fixed it with fresh installs and repo reclones...this is much nicer.

4. Hoorza

Hoorza

Hi, same problem here. Unity version 2020.1.4f1. No custom tools. Have been using this version for a few months now, with no problems. All of a sudden when I copied the backup version of the project this, freaking thing happened. Rizwan's solution wasn't enough for me. Had to delete the mentioned files and the library folder. It took a while to rebuild the Library folder and set up everything in the editor the way I like it but it seems it is all good now. Thanks for the help.

5. euro008

euro008

Thank you. This solution works for me.

6. mohitdev249

mohitdev249

welp , i was trying to do all this
    i was in a collab project and my partner had some compiled errors
    i said him to fix those errors and , i could open it again

just wanted to say

cheers!

7. josephzli2011

josephzli2011

This also solves the problem in Unity 2020.1! Thanks!

8. Tazoru

Tazoru

this one fixed it for me too :) Unity 2019.4.14f1 here

Eater_Games likes this.
  9. luke1110

luke1110

Worked for me aswell in 2020.1.7f1

10. Tazoru

Tazoru

Update, today problem reappeared :/

11. IC_

IC_

How to fix this stupid thing ????????????

12. Quadropups

Quadropups

Thank you very much!
    Had this very same bug and this solution helped me to fix it

13. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

Hmm! I had the same problem in 2020.1.4, happened when I had a folder of files, only the asset folder, trying to open that as a new project.

I solved it by copying CurrentLayout-default.dwlt from another project into the problematic one.

So there is still a bug in "revert factory settings" and "Load default layout" as none of them does anything..

14. roha29082001

roha29082001

# This works. Thanks, Mr.harry

Step 1: I opened the unity project with an older version of 2019.4.15f
    Step 2: Did the layout settings -> factory default
    Step 3: Now I opened the unity project with a new version(Current version I am using ) of 2019.4.16f

### Working: issue solved ####

15. iupendra

iupendra

The same issue still exists in unity version 2020.1.11f1

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

This worked for me thanks a lot!

17. W-C

W-C

Finally I can open my project:
    1. Open my project.
    2. Click "Load Default Layout".
    3. Click "Load Default Layout" again.
    4. Click "Quit".
    5. Open my project again.

zinoadidi_unity likes this.
  18. zinoadidi_unity

zinoadidi_unity

This works

19. alfiare

alfiare

I still have the issue in 2020.2.0f1, have to do the copy workaround nearly every time I open my project.

20. Alex_Hsieh

Alex_Hsieh

It is not fixed. I'm using Unity 2019.4.16f1 on Windows, and every time Unity hub (2.4.2.0) tries to check for updates, the file "LastLayout.dwlt" will become corrupted, no exceptions.

21. timmccune

timmccune

I have seen these copy and paste fixes, which resolves the issue. However, I am not a fan of the default layout or any of the stock layouts. The issue returns, after I setup my preferred layout. I am not suing any custom editors: Scene, Game, Hierarchy, Inspector, Console, Tile Palette. It is so annoying to have to follow the "resolution steps" then set my layout, every morning when I open my project. If an application is going to offer a feature for a custom layout, the feature should work. Unity 2019.4.14f1

22. funkysandwich

funkysandwich

Have been getting this ever since the 2020.2 betas. Still happening in the release 2020.2.1f1. :confused:

23. Wawwaa

Wawwaa

It seems this bug is produced when you create your own layout and you leave Unity on a window that has its own layout, like animator. Then, next time you try to open the project Unity gets confused. Deleting LastLayout.dwlt works in this case.

SomeGuy22 and funkysandwich like this.
  24. GrizzlySol

GrizzlySol

Just installed unity for the first time. Created a new project using version 2020.1.5f1 and I'm getting this issue. I've never used this before and its saying there are problems with the layout.

25. manim

manim

I am using Unity 2020.1.6f1. Just copied the attached file to Library folder of my project and it worked.

P.S: Remember to change the ".txt" to ".dwlt"

Attached Files:

26. BK_all

BK_all

At first it sounds confusing. But thank you very much! It works great!

27. oobartez

oobartez

Our team is seeing the same problem, we have to constantly delete the layout files.
    Here is a portion of the log file:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Invoked RoslynAnalysisRunner static constructor.
    2. RoslynAnalysisRunner will not be running.
    3. RoslynAnalysisRunner has terminated.
    4. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    5.   at UnityEditor.UIElements.UIElementsEditorUtility..cctor () [0x0005c] in /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/External/MirroredPackageSources/com.unity.ui/Editor/UIElementsEditorUtility.cs:59
    6. Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'UnityEditor.UIElements.UIElementsEditorUtility' threw an exception.
    7.   at UnityEditor.EditorUIServiceImpl.AddDefaultEditorStyleSheets (UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualElement ve) [0x00000] in /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIServiceEditor/EditorUIService.cs:45
    8.   at UnityEditor.EditorWindow.CreateRoot () [0x00045] in /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorWindow.cs:1222
    9.   at UnityEditor.EditorWindow.get_rootVisualElement () [0x00000] in /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorWindow.cs:45
    10.   at UnityEditor.UIElements.DefaultEditorWindowBackend.RegisterWindow () [0x0001c] in /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/External/MirroredPackageSources/com.unity.ui/Editor/WindowBackends/DefaultEditorWindowBackend.cs:87
    11.   at UnityEditor.UIElements.DefaultEditorWindowBackend.OnCreate (UnityEditor.IWindowModel model) [0x000a6] in /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/External/MirroredPackageSources/com.unity.ui/Editor/WindowBackends/DefaultEditorWindowBackend.cs:42
    12. UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
    13. UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    14. UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
    15. UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    16. UnityEditor.UIElements.DefaultEditorWindowBackend:OnCreate(IWindowModel) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/External/MirroredPackageSources/com.unity.ui/Editor/WindowBackends/DefaultEditorWindowBackend.cs:48)
    17. UnityEditor.GUIView:set_windowBackend(IWindowBackend) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUIView.cs:142)
    18. UnityEditor.GUIView:OnEnable() (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUIView.cs:154)
    19. UnityEditor.HostView:OnEnable() (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:149)
    We're on Unity 2020.2.0f1.

28. paulmcconico

paulmcconico

Deleting Library/CurrentLayout-default.dwlt worked for me.

29. oobartez

oobartez

Deleting Library/CurrentLayout-default.dwlt works for a short time but we have to do it multiple times a day.

30. mashiro11

mashiro11

This is what worked for me, unity version 2020.1.5f1

31. tcz8

tcz8

I constantly get this problem since I started using Unity 2019 (Currently on 2019.4.16). Sometimes it's after a crash sometimes out of nowhere.

Seems like the editor should be able to manage backup copies of our layouts and restore them as needed without requiring user interaction.

This is annoying, please fix it.

32. Raistlin2015

Raistlin2015

2020.1.7 same issue. I copied the CurrentLayout-default.dwlt file from a project that would open and overwrote to the new project that wouldn't work. Solved for me.

33. AaronKB

AaronKB

I have started getting this since about 3-4 days ago. Nothing changed my end that I can tell, no new version of Unity. Version 2019.4.15.

34. oobartez

oobartez

We are on 2020.2.1f1 and the problem is still here, in fact it sometimes happens when you start a fresh new 3D project, during the project's initialization, so it should be rather easy to reproduce.

35. Raistlin2015

Raistlin2015

I think I may have narrowed it down. I had a window that was created by a plugin / asset (Forged3D Sci-Fi Effects). When I exited Unity, I left the turret editor window open. The next time I opened the project I got the error.

36. JoaCHIP

JoaCHIP

Today I got stuck in this "Failed to load window layout" loop again, and of the suggestions given in this thread, this was the only one that worked this time.

I hope Unity's developers would address this somewhat common issue. I've seen it on multiple occasions with different unrelated projects, and it seems that the work-around is not the same every time (you basically have to try all the suggestions in this thread until something works), making this even more time consuming to deal with.

37. alfiare

alfiare

This really needs to not be in a resolved state, it happens nearly every time I open my project, I'm about to write a script to auto replace the CurrentLayout-default.dwlt to make it work every time I open Unity.

38. Axis202

Axis202

Hey guys. I had the same issue as all of you, copying 2 layout files from another project solved the problem for me. Thanks to whoever-figured-that out. Cheers!

39. bearhunter

bearhunter

Been having this problem since 2020.1.7. Upgrading to 2020.2.2 still gives me the error, but I can at least revert to default and enter the editor instead of the dreaded loop. I do like to move windows around, so I hope this gets fixed soon, especially since the bug's been around for a while now.

40. gnostici

gnostici

2020.1.5f1

This worked for me.

41. alfiare

alfiare

What were the 2 files you copied? I've done the CurrentLayout-default.dwlt, I didn't see another one.

42. lifeisabeach

lifeisabeach

^ THIS worked for me. Great, simple, solution. Thanks!

43. guneyozsan

guneyozsan

I'm having this on Unity 2020.2.1f1. It works fine after starting Unity after quiting dialog, but happens again after restarting the PC.

I don't know if related but there is also an empty duplicate Unity window with title "Unity 2020.2.1f1 <DX11>" that I can't get rid of. The visible content randomly moves between these two windows. Then the other becomes empty. Also sometimes one of them comes forward when alt+tab focus the other, and I can reach the other only by minimizing the dominant window.
    upload_2021-2-5_17-41-36.png

44. guneyozsan

guneyozsan

UPDATE:
    - It happens every time I start project, not only after restart.
    - It works fine if I click "Load default layout" and then kill Unity before it launches itself (or it crashes and loops again).
    - That weird second Unity window disappeared after this solution.

45. marcinkasica

marcinkasica

Hi,
    Recently (2021 Feb) I had this issue on MacOS. Reinstallation didn't solve the issue. Problem occurred on 2019.4.10, 2019.4.20, 2020 etc.
    Change of the region to originally installed helped. I needed to change it to US as UK didn't solve the problem.
    So change of the region to America->United States solve it in my case.

46. MaXi_JP

MaXi_JP

The only thing that worked for me! thanks!
    (on 2020.1.6f1)

47. LudiKha

LudiKha

None of these work for me 2020.2.4f1 (or the latest 2021 for that matter). It's gotten so bad my local packages got deleted because of this and lost a bunch of uncommitted work the process.

This is getting quite ridiculous, with the first report being almost 2 years ago. Despite it being marked as resolved, it is clearly NOT resolved.

Will anybody at Unity finally address this properly?

@harryr @jonathans42 @LeonhardP

48. JGamerStyle

JGamerStyle

Worked for 2020.1.0f1 ty!!

49. Martinez

Martinez

I was also experiencing the failed to load layout infinite loop in Unity 2020.2.5f1. Since no one has mentioned what fixed it for me...

I created a New Project, and it opened as expected. I changed the Editor Font from Verdana to Inter (Default). Then I exited and loaded my old project and it opened up without the layout error bug.

50. squad2588

squad2588

YOU ARE A GOATED GOAT LMAO... I THOUGHT MY GAME WAS LOST FOREVER>>>>> THIS ALSO FIXES ANOTHER G..... let me stop yelling. This also fixes another game from a year ago that I can start working on. I love you right now lol. Havea wonderful day!