Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Can not Launch Unity Due to "Failed to load window layout"

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by NorthStar79, Jun 13, 2019.

1. ObiOneStenobi

ObiOneStenobi

Worked for me on Unity 2020.1.7f1. Thank you!

2. BenParisi

BenParisi

Hyp-X fix it for me. Quoting to bump.

3. JulianPena

JulianPena

The solution from @Rizwan31840 works for me, im using version 2020.1.6f1

4. PuffinDev

PuffinDev

kensct likes this.
  5. Boolai

Boolai

This still works for Unity 2020.1.7f1

6. boothemjr

boothemjr

Can confirm - Fix still works as of Oct 12 2020 on 2020.1.5f1

7. goku107

goku107

failed to load window layout. None of the above are working. Pleaaasseee help

8. SchellHouseMedia

SchellHouseMedia

This seems to have worked for now. Thank you

9. mysticvalleycsa

mysticvalleycsa

Hyp-X solution works, though this decimated my scene... k well unity really... The only thing I can think this is the result of is that cinemachine freelook developed a compiler error after upgrading to the new input system. I get it can be difficult with so many moving parts but--you ship unity with the old input manager and then its not until going through the build process that this becomes apparent. So many other software build a tutorial INTO the update, so we know from the start to restructure our workflow. ffs.

For thoroughness I also had animation rigging & a ragdoll which I had packaged in a prefab, and for the first time created a new scene in my project, which I did not see while exploring my project folder. It contained only duplicates of some of the first scene, including the prefab (which had been missing rigidbody components on the ragdoll) for prototyping a state machine (which I hadn't begun yet).

10. 2ksomnis_2014

2ksomnis_2014

Thank you! It works for me 2020.1.5f1

11. redice524_unity

redice524_unity

Nothing mentioned here was working for me. On Unity Hub I got the latest LTS Unity version and migrated the project version to that respective version and it seems to have worked.

12. chantey

chantey

Worked for me yaaaay - 2020.1.6f1

13. mosinholmes

mosinholmes

Just delete both CurrentLayout-default.dwlt and CurrentMaximiumLayout.dwlt(i hope i remember that right) and then load a layout from within the editor that should fix the problem forever and you do not have to do it everytime just once! :]

14. doublegumbo

doublegumbo

This worked like a charm for me.

15. darkshade015

darkshade015

nothing has worked for me I have been working on a game for like 5 weeks then today this happened and I tried everything here I even uninstalled unity. I am using 2020.1.6f1. Please help this is my first game

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  16. michealcaj

michealcaj

Unity3d have managed to break everything , in unity 2020, well done guys

Zottman and LeekAndRibs like this.
  17. CreativeRussell

CreativeRussell

I've just had this issue... (Unity 2020.1.6f1)
    This is what worked for me...
    ctrl+alt+delete (windows) and ending all unity tasks that were listed at the top.

18. mohammedghabyen

mohammedghabyen

Easy way to fix with mac OS is after clicking revert factory settings, close unity from monitor (force quit) then open project again, that's work for me.
    explanation: when you click unity quit button from their window, it delete the file that created from revert factory setting layout, that cause the problem, by force quitting from monitor you prevent unity from deleting that file

sytsew likes this.
  19. kava_4

kava_4

This worked like charm on Mac and also the same method works on windows with task manager.

20. CreativeRussell

CreativeRussell

Awesome, so my suggestion worked so far :)

21. Zottman

Zottman

Issue still exists in 2020.1.6f1.
    I use this method from POCHY:

1. Go to (for Win10) ...\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Editor-5.x\Preferences\Layouts\default
    2. Open Default.wlp with Notepad or any text editor
    3. Go to your new project's folder -> subfolder ...\Library
    4. Open CurrentLayout-default.dwlt with Notepad or any text editor, clear all and paste Default.wlp contents instead. Save and close.
    (Alternatively, you can copy and paste Default.wlp and rename it into CurrentLayout-default.dwlt but make sure .wlp changes to .dwlt)
    5. Run your project now. Should be fine.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  22. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

And the same game from the beginning in 2020.1.9f1. Revert Factory Layout and then closing it via Task Manager Unity helps me, but still, it is just terrible...

23. Ansimpleguy

Ansimpleguy

where can I find?

upload_2020-10-22_12-11-5.png

24. Ansimpleguy

Ansimpleguy

I dont have that setting upload_2020-10-22_12-20-55.png

25. Martichoras

Martichoras

Following earlier suggestions to delete the dwlt-file did nothing for me. However, this method worked for me in Unity 2020 1.4.f1. But instead of the 3 files, I replaced CurrentLayout-default.dwlt with a version from a 2019-project.
    It did it for me

26. Casanova87xx

Casanova87xx

This worked for me (Unity 2020.1.5f1)

27. Hansilein

Hansilein

That works for me: Same problem, but i could open a new project (using 2020.1.5f1) with the demo-scene and i copied the layout.dwlt from the demo scene into my project...it starts again without any problems....Great, because it´s 2 days to my first presentation ;-)

28. Zottman

Zottman

CurrentLayout-default.dwlt
    Just deleting it is not enough. You should replace it with Default.wlt

29. darkshade015

darkshade015

All I had to do was change the version of unity I was on then change it back to the 2020's

30. piggybank1974

piggybank1974

This just happened to me in 2020.1.6F, but mine in only on New Projects, all others are fine.

I created a new project in 2019.2.10F it barked at me but I could see the project in unity changed my layout too what I normally have Imported what I wanted and upscaled the project and it looks fine. The only thing I think I did was to delete a couple of folders from Asset Store-5.x directory, that had packages in.

Now I create new projects fine in 2020.1.6F even with my layout.

31. KnifeOffWork

KnifeOffWork

it worked for me tks

32. hamood911

hamood911

Hi, thank you. this worked perfectly. It seems a bad time to join Unity because I got this error the 1st time I tried to use it.

33. BadSeedProductions

BadSeedProductions

2020.1.9f happening worse now in 2020.1.9f

Attached Files:

34. TripleState

TripleState

for me, i replaced the CurrentLayout-default.dwlt & CurrentMaximizeLayout.dwlt files of the project that wouldn't open with the ones from a project that did open. Solved for me

RunninglVlan likes this.
  35. TheZombie9221

TheZombie9221

why isnt the library there?

36. Jalenisback

Jalenisback

I've got the same problem of the window appearing when trying to open a project,as reported above.

I've followed the instructions of Rizwan, I just found 2 (out of 3) of these mentioned files in an older project which was opening correctly, copied and pasted them into the project that had the bug of this topic and wasn't opening, and the bug was solved and I could open the project again.

Nonetheless, the problem is still there when creating a new project. So I always have to copy and paste old files into the new project library to make it work, which is pretty annoying... Anyone knows how can we fix the problem also for when we create new projects?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I've tried to change the editor's version to an older one to the project that was having the issue and it worked! And the good news is that now also new projects don't have the bug. At least for the moment

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  37. tacman1123

tacman1123

Also having this problem on a Windows machine, I try to keep the latest version of Unity for each release installed (2020.2b, 2020.1, 2019.4), expecting the latest releases to have the most fixes.

Does it depend on the order of the installs? That sounds a bit crazy.

I downloaded the repo for the new UIToolkit, couldn't open it in 2020.1, but could open it in 2020.2b6.

I feel like I'm hacking away blindly when removing / copying files. It's frustrating to wait 2-3 minutes to load a project, only to find out that the Editor won't open.

38. cgascons

cgascons

This is now an issue for us as well. In our particular case, it started happening the moment we installed (and docked next to the Scene tab) the Unity Mobile Notifications package. Perhaps it doesn't have anything to do with this error (we haven't tried to replicate this on a test project) but it's worth noticing that everytime the editor crashes with that message, the settings of that particular plugin are reset to default. Might try upgrading the Unity version we are currently using (2020.1.3f1 on Mac)

[Edit]: Coincidence or not, after quitting Unity a few times and attempt to reopening the Mobile Notifications Plugin from here to double check the current configuration this is what happens on the console:

Code (Boo):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.DrawEditorHeaderItems (UnityEngine.Rect rectangle, UnityEngine.Object[] targetObjs, System.Single spacing) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUIUtility.cs:248)
    3. UnityEditor.AssetSettingsProvider.OnTitleBarGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Settings/Providers/AssetSettingsProvider.cs:124)
    4. UnityEditor.SettingsWindow.DrawTitleBar () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Settings/SettingsWindow.cs:407)
    5. UnityEditor.SettingsWindow.DrawSettingsPanel () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Settings/SettingsWindow.cs:368)
    6. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:296)
    7. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:189)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  39. cmonroy

cmonroy

The real question here is not when this will fixed, but if it will fixed at certain time in the remote future...

40. MostHated

MostHated

For anyone who still has this issue, I made a script that can temporarily fix this for you (until it happens again). I found it keeps happening when I close Unity after having a custom UI elements editor window open at the time of me having closed the editor.

Instructions are written in the comments, but the "gist" of it is, you edit line 20 and add in the path to the root folder containing your Unity projects.

You can add multiple paths if you have projects in different locations, as my Github packages were in a different folder than my main game projects. You then run the script, passing in the name of the project that is having issues (name must match the folder name which the project is in). The script makes a backup of your current layout file, detects the project's version number via the project settings files, then uses that to go to the default Unity install folder to look for the matching Unity version install and copies the default layout file from there into your project's Library folder.

You can then open up your project and should no longer be stuck in the layout loop.

It was happening so often that it warranted a script being written. Now I just open my terminal, type "unityfixlayout -Project MyProject" (or just hit up and enter if you recently ran the command to run it again) and then hit enter and go on about my business.

Currently, it is set up for Windows using Powershell, but I could adjust it for Mac/Linux since PowerShell is cross-platform, if there is a want/need for that.

https://gist.github.com/instance-id/185c223ccad39dceb69ecd94763ec376

41. digimbyte

digimbyte

Had this issue, clean reinstall of everything, still failed.
    creating a unity shortcut and adding -cleanTestPrefs to the shortcut fixed it

42. AndronMedia

AndronMedia

This is still happening with Unity Hub 2.4.2 and 2020.1.7f1 Really annoying.

43. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

This is happening on a brand new project .. Any ides, I cant create a new project

44. df3852

df3852

I can confirm this problem still exists on Unity 2020.2.0b, even when creating a brand new, empty project.

For me, the solution was to delete the entire C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Editor-5.x\Preferences\Layouts folder.

45. NeoGriever

NeoGriever

Issue still appears.

My Solution to fix it ... go into %AppData%\Unity\Editor-5.x\Preferences\Layouts\default\ and Ctrl+C any of the files there. I used the "Wide.wlt".

Now go into your new created or already existing project folder and there into the "Library" Folder. Rename (for secure) the "CurrentLayout-default.dwlt" into something like "CurrentLayout-default.dwlt.bak".

Then paste the copied Wide.wlt into this folder throught Ctrl+V.

Rename now the "Wide.wlt" to "CurrentLayout-default.dwlt"

Start your Project and first change the layout to what you want.

Problem solved.

Btw: Just leave a second copy of your copied wlt file into the folder, to reproduce the procedure faster. Helpful is this batch script, wich you can place into your folder to automate this process.

Code (csharp):
    1. @echo off
    2. echo removing possible previous existing dwlt backup file ...
    3. @delete .\CurrentLayout-default.dwlt.bat
    4. echo renaming existing dwlt file ...
    5. move .\CurrentLayout-default.dwlt .\CurrentLayout-default.dwlt.bat
    6. echo copy wide layout wlt file and place it as CurrentLayout ...
    7. copy "%AppData%\Unity\Editor-5.x\Preferences\Layouts\default\Wide.wlt" ".\CurrentLayout-default.dwlt"
    8. echo done
    Just place the bat-file inside the project "Library" folder ... if the issue happens, select quit on the error window, doubleclick the bat file and then you're able to launch the project file

ObiOneStenobi likes this.
  46. Kaldrin

Kaldrin

Hi !
    Same issue, deleting these worked for me :

"C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Unity"
    "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\LocalLow\Unity"
    "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Unity"

47. mcroswell

mcroswell

Jeremy (Jeremy-Borton),

Loved your solution! It even kept my customized layouts!

Unity really should fix this soon. This would send any new user running for another engine, I'm sure.

Anyway, your method works well to remove the error. It worked for me on my mac and is my go-to method now.

Thank you much!
    -Mike

PS: I've wrote my own instructions (really the same as yours but might help folks who don't "get" yours).

------------------------------------------------------
    From Unity HUB (or wherever you opened it from) while Creating New (or opening) Project from the loading message box
    1) Load Default Layout (it makes a good one, but see step #3)
    Do it again (I don't know if you have to) but don't Quit yet.

2) In your OS, go to folder (while Unity's message box is still up)
    Copy lwlt (CurrentLayout-default.dwlt in project folder Library it's good apparently)

3) Again back in the Unity loading message box:
    Quit Unity loading (it will now replace it with crappy one for some reason)

4) Back in your OS's File Manager:
    Now, delete the earlier dwlt one (yes, like a bad cold - it's back!) Use that one you copied at second Load Default Layout (step #2) and rename now properly to CurrentLayout-default.dwlt.

5) Restart Project from HUB

PPS: I was running 2020.1.6f1 (Personal) and your solution worked well with it.
    ------------------------------------------------------

48. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Can we remove the Resolved tag from this post to get eyes on this ..

49. dmit99_

dmit99_

I got the same problem and fixed it.
    If you're using ProBuilder like me.
    Go to your project folder -> PackageCache and delete Probuilder folder.
    If you got more ProBuilder packages inside your project delete them too.

At least I got my project back now. Hopefully this helps someone else too!

50. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

No pro builder in my projects. Is this coming from the unity check for update window ?