Search Unity

Can not connect Hololens in Remote - PerceptionRemotePlugin.dll not found

Discussion in 'VR' started by gijmy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. gijmy

gijmy

Hello all,

I tried for 3 days now to connect my Hololens and Unity but I try a lot of different versions and I always have the same error message :

Failed to load PerceptionRemotePlugin.dll. The specified module could not be found.

But the plugin is in the path specified...

Thank's a lot for you help.

Jimmy

2. gijmy

gijmy

Here is the complete error message :

Holographic library PerceptionRemotingPlugin: Failed to load dll
    UnityEditorInternal.VR.PerceptionRemotingPlugin:GetConnectionState_Internal()
    UnityEditorInternal.VR.PerceptionRemotingPlugin:GetConnectionState() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/modules/VREditor/HolographicEmulationBindings.gen.cs:242)
    UnityEditorInternal.VR.HolographicEmulationWindow:IsConnectedToRemoteDevice() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/PerceptionRemoting/HolographicEmulation/HolographicEmulationWindow.cs:173)
    UnityEditorInternal.VR.HolographicEmulationWindow:OnGUI() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/PerceptionRemoting/HolographicEmulation/HolographicEmulationWindow.cs:362)
    UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)

3. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Hi gijmy,

Where is the location of the DLL you found manually? You mentioned going to find it on your own, what is the path of that file you found? Also, Do you have the old plugin from Microsoft installed in this project folder? If that's not the case it sounds like something went awry with your editor install. I would perhaps consider reinstalling the editor and your platform support modules and see if the error persists.

4. gijmy

gijmy

Hello,

Here is the path :
    Plugins: Failed to load 'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/VR/Win64/PerceptionRemotingPlugin.dll' with error 'The specified module could not be found.
    '.

As you can see on the joined file, the DLL is there.

What do you mean by the platform support? (I already reinstall the editor many times)

holoERROR.PNG

Max-Bot likes this.
  5. sebrk_hiq

sebrk_hiq

Have you properly installed it to another path? Maybe try another version of the editor.

6. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

By platform support I'm referring to these checkboxes during install.

Attached Files:

7. gijmy

gijmy

I did what yoy say. I restore Windows but nothing is better...

8. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Interesting.

What OS version are you on? Also include if it's Student, Home, Pro, etc. of Windows 10.

Also, try installing it to a completely clean folder, not on top of an existing installation of Unity.

9. gijmy

gijmy

I finally install a brand new windows 10 and it works.

10. zapaishchykova

zapaishchykova

I am still getting the same error even after windows reset!

UnityException: Cannot connect because the PerceptionRemotingPlugin.dll is not loaded

11. tasbalint

tasbalint

Same here...
    in:
    C:\Program Files\Unity\2018.3.2f1\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\VR\Win64 or \Win
    is no PerceptionRemotingPlugin.dll or any of the other dll found in 2017.4.18f only audiopluginresonanceaudio.dll
    pls help this is annoying cant use .net standard in 2017 i need to migrate to 2018!

zapaishchykova likes this.
  12. tasbalint

tasbalint

Installing a brand new windows cant be the only solution...

13. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Which version of Windows Mixed Reality package do you have in your projects?

14. tasbalint

tasbalint

what does the PerceptionRemotingPlugin.dll have to do anything with the mixed reality package. My friend downloaded unity 2018 and he havent had this problem.
    I try to use Mixed Reality Toolkit 2018.9.0 (vNext Beta), but i dont know how to use that yet, i have been using HoloToolkit-Unity-2017.4.3.0 before

EDIT: Windows Mixed Reality version 1.0.8
    EDIT: Solution: After you loaded the Mixed Reality Toolkit 2018.9.0 (vNext Beta) you need to go under window->package Manager-> find and install Windows Mixed Reaility (current version 1.0.8)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  15. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

The toolkit might not have anything to do with it. Likely you'll need to install the package even if you don't install the MRTK.

16. nischita

nischita

Hi, this error went away when I unchecked the WSA Holographic Remoting under XR Settings

17. zapaishchykova

zapaishchykova

Yup, thanks it worked!

18. MohsenneChaverdie

MohsenneChaverdie

- Install Windows Mixed Reality Package from Unity Package Manager
    - Check WSA Holographic Remoting Support in your Build Player Settings.

itiz_steffend and Red_Dragon69 like this.
  19. songsongsongsong

songsongsongsong

I did the all the thing above,but still not work.
    But I find the way to make it work now !!!

install Unity 2019.1.0f2 through Unity Hub, then make a copy of original project. And you can use 2019 version unity open the copy project,the project version will update to 2019.
    finally, I got the remote play on my Hololens agagin. Remote function did save much development and test time.

20. Max-Bot

Max-Bot

Basically worked for me to resolve this.
    For some reason in my current Unity version this .dlls were missing and I've just put it to Plugins folder from previous Unity version ..Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/VR/Win64/

Good luck.

songsongsongsong likes this.
  21. JasonsFreeTime

JasonsFreeTime

Unity 2018.4.1f1

This is a weird one. For me after installing/uninstalling/reinstalling Windows Mixed Reality from the Package manager, and enabling/disabling/reenabling the WSA Holographic Remoting in Player Settings, the last thing I did was Uncheck and Recheck "Virtual Reality Supported" in Player Settings>XR Settings. Then I was finally able to Remote to Device without getting the error.

22. aditya_unity437

aditya_unity437

Hi
    Any stable recipes for working around this issue? Reset my laptop , windows pro 10 , vs 2017, unity 2018.4x. No luck
    On my surfacebook the dll loading issue randomly appears
    Very frustrating - is there someone from Unity that can provide a solution? What’s the root cause? Trial and error is frustrating

23. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

We had a fix related to the perceptionremoting.dll land in 2018.4.1f1 if you wouldn't mind checking on that version or later with your project.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  24. aditya_unity437

aditya_unity437

Am on 2018.4.4f1 - same issue
    There really appears to be no root cause - most of the discussion here appears to various non-reproable recipes.
    More frustration...

25. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

I believe I could provide a better, longer explanation and I apologize for all the confusion and frustration with this feature. We are looking at ways of improving the usability of this in the future and all of this is being noted as extremely useful feedback to guide us.

First off, let me address confusion around MRTK (Mixed Reality Tool Kit) and the WMR (Windows Mixed Reality) package in case the distinction between the two remains unclear. These two are not the same thing and it is actually very common to confuse the two unfortunately.

The MRTK is a plugin created by Microsoft to help create a sort of, “plug-and-play” library of commonly used features for their platform. Some examples of these features include, but are not limited to teleporting, controller visualizing, and hand or eye tracking. You would want to get this plugin if you’re looking for a standard solution to common problems like these without having to engineer your own solution. Though you’re certainly able to engineer your own if you would like. MRTK is found on GitHub.

The MRTK plugin depends on the WMR package that Unity provides. The WMR package includes all of your DLLs for base functionality, like remoting to the device in this thread for example. Both MRTK and WMR Package may individually contain DLLs which completes your project, however note these two do not acknowledge any overlap between them.

Finally, this last part is only important to you if you adjust the “WSA Holographic Remoting Support” checkbox found in the build settings of your project. The PerceptionRemotingPlugin.dll lives inside the WMR Package supplied by Unity. This DLL will not load in a built app/game unless this checkbox is enabled before you build.