Search Unity

Resolved Can multiple Unity component installers on Windows be run at the same time?

Discussion in 'Testing & Automation' started by JesseSTG, Apr 12, 2021.

1. JesseSTG

JesseSTG

I'm putting together a custom CI pipeline, part of which involves me provisioning a Windows 10 build image. This process involves downloading individual Unity component installers. To save time, I'm trying to parallelize as much as I can (e.g. downloading some files while others are installing and while some other files are being decompressed).

Right now I'm downloading the main Unity editor. Once it's done I start installing it; in the mean time I'm still downloading the installers for individual components. Once all the individual components are done downloading and the main Unity editor is installed, I start installing the individual components.

Is it possible to run Windows installers for different Unity components at the same time?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

It's not a scenario that we test.

Having said that, I don't think installing platform support updates any shared files, so installing them in parallel should not result in any collisions. As long as Windows lets you do it, it will probably work. No guarantees that it will keep working in the future, though.

JesseSTG likes this.
  3. JesseSTG

JesseSTG

Thank you!

How do they work? Are they just dumb self-extracting archives?

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I believe they're NSIS installers. So, not quite 'dumb self-extracting archives', but close.

JesseSTG likes this.
  5. JesseSTG

JesseSTG

I just installed two NDA-protected Unity modules at the same time. Under the assumption that they use the same installer code as the public modules, then it works like a charm.

superpig likes this.