Search Unity

Can I use Unity Personal for internal use / showroom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guilherme_Amorim, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Guilherme_Amorim

Guilherme_Amorim

Hello,
    I work for a company that earns more than $100.000 per year and I'm wondering if I can use Unity Free Edition to create a showroom for a product (a 3D model of it will be displayed and interacted with.)

The software won't be distributed and will only run on a set of machines for potential clients.

I can't find a good answer to this, as the FAQ only explicitly explain for Commercial and Published Games.

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

The FAQ doesn’t say anything about publishing games or otherwise. If your company makes more 100k (and less than 200k) you will need the Plus license to use Unity. Pro is over 200k.

Joe-Censored and Ryiah like this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

No.

If your companies revenue is higher than the threshold, you cannot use Unity Personal in any fashion.

Not that Unreal's license is different. They only charge royalties for published products. This does allow for free internal use of the tool.

Ryiah likes this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

You must not have read the license agreement then because it's very blunt about it. I've bold formatted the relevant info from the license agreement.

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

That is commercial. Your not making a showcase in your bedroom for your family, your doing it for clients in a commercial setting in a company that makes revenue that goes over the limit, therefore you pay for the license :)