Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can i use unity assets un a free game ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AMINELABS, Jun 7, 2018.

?

I Can ?

This poll will close on Jun 7, 2026 at 5:11 PM.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. AMINELABS

AMINELABS

Can i use unity assets into my free to play game ?

2. verybinary

verybinary

Standard answer would be yes, but something tells me there are details that you don't want to disclose so you can get broad permission that will hold up in court. Typically, assets are put in the store to be used? But if you think your reasoning is underhanded enough for clarification, the answer is probably a no. The fact that I hate the word "free to play" means very little here, and the fact that you used some bait and switch(calling it free up top) makes me wonder about your endgame...

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

dogzerx2 and Joe-Censored like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It depends on what you mean by "unity assets" and what you mean by "free to play".

If "free to play" means the game is free but you are doing so under a business name, or you have some alternate monetization such as advertising, in app purchases, DLC, or are giving it away to get attention to something else that may make you money, then you're doing it for commercial purposes. In that case there may be some exceptions.

* If you mean Unity's Standard Assets the answer is Yes.

* If you mean something you downloaded from the Asset Store, the answer is almost certainly Yes, but there are some very rare exceptions that don't allow for commercial use. If that is the case it would be spelled out with the asset, but if nothing is mentioned then the answer is Yes.

*If you mean an asset pack from one of Unity's tech demos, the answer is usually Yes for non-commercial, but No for commercial use. For example, assets you get from Unity's Adam project specifically ban commercial use. This should be spelled out in whatever EULA accompanies the asset.

Kiwasi likes this.
  5. AMINELABS

AMINELABS

I made a game with free assets type low poly and my questions is if I have the right to publish my game that will be free

6. AMINELABS

AMINELABS

it means that I have to read the description of all the assets present on my game and see if they accept or not the commercial use for a free-to-play game

7. verybinary

verybinary

Why do you keep dancing between "free" and "free-to-play"?
    Do you think these two mean the same thing?

8. AMINELABS

AMINELABS

im go to check this

9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

So if by "unity assets" you specifically meant "assets I download from the Unity Asset Store" then yes that is the license you use. Take note of the section on restricted assets, as any restricted asset you download cannot be used for commercial use. They are rare on the store, but I have seen a few. Take care to not use any restricted assets in your commercial game. All other assets from the Unity Asset Store can be used for commercial use, which is the overwhelming majority of what are available on the store.