Search Unity

can I use subversion to manage my unity files?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Erin Liu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity has a pure focus of the project in assets folder.
    anything outside: fine but your problem and unity does not give a damn nor support you on it.

thats not exactly special to unity, most if not all engines work like this, I at least can't recall any exception and that independent of the price class.
    Commonly there is one difference though: most technologies are focused at single projects, no support for multiple projects without multiple installs at all.
    From that point of view Unity went a very good way solving the problem of having multiple projects and editor expandability.

also if you share stuff between projects and are on windows: Get Filehamster and FTP plugin. that way you can autoreplicate them upon change without any problem!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. tm

tm

Fair enough. I still feel a child-like entitlement to rage impotently, however.

3. JayBee

JayBee

Hi all,

I feel this might be the right place to comment on Unity v3.1 and Subversion (SVN).

In my project, some useful files in the Library folder have been committed to the SVN repository (among others: ProjectSettings.asset and InputManager.asset), while other folders like: /cache, /metadata, /previews and /ScriptAssemblies have been set to be ignored by version control. This way, (when working in Unity 2.6), a check-out from SVN would result in re-import of the assets, but after this step (where for the local Library folder the /cache, /metadata etcetera were recreated), everything would be okay.

However, since we've upgraded from Unity v2.6 to v3.1, a check-out from SVN gains the error: "Creating Directory library/metadata/00 failed/ Please ensure there is enough disk space and you have permission setup correctly." Is there anyone than can inform me how to avoid this error message and how to keep working with SVN and our Pro Unity v3.1 where 'external version control' (with the .meta files) has been activated?