Search Unity

Question Can I use paid assets purchased with my personal account to make a game and sell it on Fiverr?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ayseaktas, Dec 23, 2022.

1. ayseaktas

ayseaktas

Hi! I want to start a gig on Fiverr about developing mobile games in Unity. But I am confused about the licenses of Unity Asset Store. Can I buy a single paid asset with my personal account and use it on all my game orders or do I have to buy it for each order with the buyer's unity account?

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

The latter. You can sell builds (executable games) using the asset, but you cannot redistribute the asset itself. Since you're talking about developing games for fiverr, your customers will probably want the project source. In this case, you cannot include the asset in what you deliver. However, you can give them a link to the asset's Asset Store page and tell them they have to buy a license using their own account and import it into the project on their own.

See the Asset Store Terms of Use.

I'm not a lawyer. If you have questions, contact Unity directly.

ayseaktas likes this.
  3. ayseaktas

ayseaktas

Yes, I would like to provide the source code as well. Then I should ask the buyer to purchase the assets for their game.
    Does this also apply to free assets too?

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Yes.

To protect yourself, don't take their word that they've purchased a license. Deliver the project without the assets in them, and ask them to import the assets.

ayseaktas likes this.
  5. ayseaktas

ayseaktas

Thanks for the advice! I will do as you say.

6. kdgalla

kdgalla

Also, (this is kind-of obvious) but you want inform your client up-front so that they know that there may be additional costs and that the game they are getting is not 100% original content. I assume that most people would have no problem agreeing with these conditions, but they would probably be disappointed if they were surprised by them.

ayseaktas likes this.
  7. ayseaktas

ayseaktas

Thank you for talking about this. I thought about this and prepared a policy regarding additional assets. I will inform the buyer about this policy before starting development.

8. ayseaktas

ayseaktas

Thanks for the warning. I have to check the license agreements of each asset I will use.