Search Unity

Can I use Mixamo animations to help my animations process in blender , modify a little and submit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reifus_Strip, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Reifus_Strip

Reifus_Strip

Hey there, I use manual rigging and try to develop my skill to sell my asset in the unity asset store, however , I was wondering if I can use "mixamo" animations, to use it in blender as a template? modify to my priorities... and sell the "modified" vertion? is possible . I check the documentation of "unity submit guidelines"
    here

https://assetstore.unity.com/publishing/submission-guidelines#1. Content Restrictions

thx

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

Probably not. Check Mixamo's license terms, though. It's up to Mixamo whether you can use them or not.

3. sxa

sxa

If you use someone else's copyrighted work as the basis for your own work, the someone else still has copyright. What your changes result in is called a 'derived work' and you need the permission of the original copyright holder to redistribute your changed version.

Given that Adobe own Mixamo, I'd suggest that getting that permission is highly unlikely.

Its fine to do this sort of thing as a learning exercise, but any notion that you can take someone else's work, change it, and redistribute it, especially on a commercial basis, is exactly what copyright law exists to prevent.

angrypenguin likes this.
  4. Reifus_Strip

Reifus_Strip

Ok, because I confuse, because I see many youtube videos where guys use mixamo to test animations...I do not if they use for fun...for testing or for youtube's audience... I read carefully the guidelines of the asset store... I can not find any rmention of mixamo in the guideline , but some strict info in the Mocap's raw data... I used to do manual rigging and use "auto rig pro" a extreme useful addon for blender I learn a lot of manual rigging (but It is very consuming time)... however I am planning to sell my asset... and would like to take more information to get clean reputation... I check the blender's org website and it is "adobe" everywhere, so that's is confuse for the usage of the mocap files, and I think that people need to check or think that is "free" or "not":. I am not trying to practice , I try to sell and would like to gather the updated info , if it is not possible to use mixamo to "help" with the custom animations.

I would like to know also if I can show to the future's client, how the player's is controlled by mixamo or any mocap? I mean, I read the "guidelines" in unity asset store, and to be clean and good presentation for a product, is mandatory to show some video or image , of the animation's game... probably I thinking to record a video with mixamo's animation insinde unity, but NOT sale...just "showing" how cool is the character using some kind of mocap files for example.
    thx.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  5. I'm sorry to say this, but if you're planning to sell things on the Asset Store you really should find someone, who can read English properly and is not stranger to some minor legal questions. They should read the licenses and EULAs and explain them to you what you can and can't use/do. It's important to be on the clear because if you do this legitimately, you really need to avoid a legal battle / trouble which you will understand even less. I'm telling you this with the intention of help, I'm also a person whose 1st language isn't English and had to go through these things.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2021
  6. Reifus_Strip

Reifus_Strip

Yep I am trying to read every post and thing that I can find, because I need to sell my characters and avoid things.

7. kdgalla

kdgalla

THis is what I was trying to say in my other post. Unity is not going to tell you what assets you have permission to sell and what you don't. You'll need to look at Mixamo's licensing terms to see if they give you permission to resell their assets. My guess is that you can't. You're probably allowed to use them in your own game or video, but usually asset sellers do not give you permission to re-sell their assets, even if you change them.

angrypenguin likes this.
  8. Reifus_Strip

Reifus_Strip

I read the adobe mixamo official page, they said use free, use commercial, but do not mentioned anything related to unity ... so probably as you mentioned, you can not change anything... but ... can I show a demo reel ? I see some model in cgtrader and here, that no include any animations! they show a youtube's video of the "product" showing some kind of mocap...not sure if it is mixamo...and when they sale , they not offering the animations , just the rigging files, I think they use as a template to enchance the product , and see the reaction of the bones deformation , some kind of ilution of game-ready real time animations.

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

Their license is ambiguous. The text implies that you're allowed to use mixamo ONLY for the cases they listed.
    I'm also unable to find full text of the license. Which is a big warning flag.

That means that most likely you're not allowed to take a mixamo animation, alter it and resell. I definitely wouldn't try to do something like that.

10. Reifus_Strip

Reifus_Strip

Of course! I am not trying to selling! ... I just wondering if I can use them as guide, template for my animations , and also if I can modifiy or fusionated with mines... I found a lot of youtubers , I do not know if they are pros or hobbyst... but they use and show how to mix , etc... I use to create my own animations , in the worst scenario , I am going to create my own manual animations , but I assume is so time consuming...