Search Unity

Question Can I use intersecting NavMeshVolumes to navigate through Not Walkable volumes?

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Venwin, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Venwin

Venwin

Hi,

I am using Unity 2021 so I am pulling from the github for these "advanced" NavMesh tools.

I'm trying to make a prefab for a building that normally should behave as an obstacle for NPCs to walk around. However, I want it so that when I tell an agent to go to the building, that they understand how to properly enter the building through a pathway. So right now, I have two NavMeshModifierVolumes created, one is attached to an empty object that is the parent of everything else in the prefab. This volume is defined as not walkable. Then I create a child empty object that also has another volume that is walkable. Right now, the whole object can be walked through by an agent. I'm not really sure what to do, I tried making the parent empty object an obstacle and that didn't work, and I tried making the child walkable volume also have a NavMeshModifier set to walkable and that didn't do any noticeable changes. The prefab is set on a custom layer I made, but I don't think that matters since a NavObstacle can carve normally if I try to make one. The prefab is not set to static.

Am I using the right tools for the job even? I am a Unity newbie so I could be overcomplicating this problem. What am I missing? At the end of the day I just need a Nav Agent to recognize that the prefab building is considered a wall unless the agent needs to go inside, and then to know how to go inside. Any insight/help is much appreciated.

forumImg1.png forumImg2.png
    forumImg3.png