Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Can I Use Collab in house only?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by pantang, Dec 26, 2020.

1. pantang

pantang

Do I need to use cloud storage with unity collab?

all I really require is the ability to have a few systems running the same project in house, mainly for multiplayer testing/development and don't require any backup or remote access facilities nor do I like the idea of storing my data on someone else's computer. I have considered git but reading up it seems it doesn't play to well with unity though I won't be editing the same scenes on the other machine so would this aid in Git being a solution?

Id like to use Unitys built in solution but I don't need the fluff that surrounds it, and I only want my files/master stored locally.

Any hints/tip/advice on what is the best solution?

In house storage only
    2-3 editors working on the same project
    Editors will be in different scenes

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  2. pantang

pantang

Bump bump bump

Anyone give me a hint as to the best solution, I need 2-3 editors on the same network using the same project, and cloud storage is not an options and honestly is a bit excessive uploading a 20gb+ project to the cloud only to download it again to the same location.

There must be a simple way to run a few editors surely we don't need to buy this cloud nonsense?

3. jhdkajshdasjhdkjahsdashd

jhdkajshdasjhdkjahsdashd

helping bump,

we are attempting to do the same with a closed network set up. we need to have 2-4 members working the same project. currently we pass the project back and forth via a network storage but the project file is north of 120gbs and has generated TB of data/back ups passing it around. We are unable to utilize the web/cloud function do to policies in place and security.

Why can unity not even run off network locations? This seemed like the easiest way to do it, put one project file on the local network drive and point all of our Unity Hubs at it but no luck. Just refreshes the Hub, gives no errors and closes Unity processes.

4. ValeryNikulina

ValeryNikulina

Unity Technologies

Hi,

There is a free version of Unity Teams Basic that allows to use Collaborate service for up to 3 people. If you will need more seats - you will need to purchase Unity Teams Advanced ($9 per month) and purchase more seats on the top of those 3. Although Teams Basic comes only with 1GB of storage space, so with a bigger project you will need Teams Advanced. Of course, you can always choose what to commit and leave out of your commit, depending on what you want to share with your team.

Git is a common option if you're looking for external source control with Unity. I believe none of the source controls are 100% efficient with merging changes in scenes, so it is better to be avoided overall.

I hope this answers your question. Please let us know if there are more questions.

5. pantang

pantang

I guess git is the way forward thank you. Problem with Teams/Collab is I don't want/need cloud storage and need to use local storage as I have a terrible upload rate so 50gb or so is going to take me a day or two to upload and considering the other system that will used is sitting right next to the first and then there is security, always feel better keeping my data on my own systems... Both editors systems should never be using the same scene will that help with merging at all in git? Mainly just for developing the multiplayer side of my game, be nice not to wait 20mins between each build for testing.

6. ValeryNikulina

ValeryNikulina

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    I totally understand your concern.

About merging scenes - with Git you will get merge conflict in YAML file, so you will be able to either choose one of the options: mine or theirs. Or you can manually solve the conflict in the file, although it's quite painful, I must say :)
    There are some additional tools for merging YAML files, but I personally never tried them, so I cannot advice on that.

It is highly recommended to use prefabs, so that you won't get those merge conflicts if you must work on the same scene at the same time. Also, there is a possibility to 'break' a scene in several scenes and use additive loading, that would be another option to avoid scene conflicts.

I hope this is helpful!

pantang likes this.