Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I use assets from the asset store, paid or free, in another software's project?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BigLouis1971, Jul 31, 2016.

1. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

Like Daz Studio for rendering or another game engine as part of the game?

2. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Unless specified otherwise by the creator: no.
    Buy for Unity projects only. Unless something has changed, lately.

3. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

This question and variations gets asked so much it really needs to be a sticky or the legalise in the EULA made more clear.

The Unity licence doesn't actually state anywhere it needs to be specifically used in a Unity developed game just used in a game. This is my reading of it unless I am missing something? Free assets can include a modified licence with additional terms but paid assets all share the same licence

From http://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

Licensor grants to the END-USER a non-exclusive, worldwide, and perpetual license to the Asset to integrate Assets only as incorporated and embedded components of electronic games and interactive media and distribute such electronic game and interactive media. Except for game services software development kits (“Services SDKs”), END-USERS may modify Assets. END-USER may otherwise not reproduce, distribute, sublicense, rent, lease or lend the Assets. It is emphasized that the END-USERS shall not be entitled to distribute or transfer in any way (including, without, limitation by way of sublicense) the Assets in any other way than as integrated components of electronic games and interactive media. Without limitation of the foregoing it is emphasized that END-USER shall not be entitled to share the costs related to purchasing an Asset and then let any third party that has contributed to such purchase use such Asset (forum pooling).

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Thats how I read it also @Tortyfoo - there is no limitation in the end-user license to exclude non-Unity use of assets.
    Defined as (non-exclusive use)

Good luck importing rigged characters into Daz! ;)

5. BigLouis1971

BigLouis1971

Thanks. This is so good news. Another source of free models to practice my Daz renderings!