Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted Can I use assets and tools from the Unity Asset Store with PlayMaker?

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by larkwan, Sep 11, 2020.

1. larkwan

larkwan

Can I use assets and tools from the Unity Asset Store with PlayMaker?

I want to try making my game in PlayMaker ... The Unity Asset Store has a lot of cool add-ons like procedural planets or animation packs. Can I use all of them in my project or do they not work with visual scripting?

Are there any restrictions at all when working in PlayMaker with the Unity Asset Store?

2. dre788

dre788

You might be better off asking this question on the playmaker website itself. But a short answer is, playmaker has the ability to "get/set" values and call methods. This makes playmaker pretty compatible with a lot of assets without having to make custom actions. If you find yourself in need of custom actions, talk to the asset developer or attempt to write it yourself. Good luck.

3. dorusoftware

dorusoftware

If the asset have playmaker support you can use them if not you need to create custom scripts to tie in the functionality of that assets to work with playmaker.

You need to know how to code else you will go nowhere. There is an online repository with people that created scripts for playmaker to add functionality that is not there by default but chances that they have created something for the assets you need are slim.

I've used playmaker for a few months and I've had to write these scripts tie in. Is not hard after a while but is manual work that takes time.

Now this exact behavior made me try Bolt. It appears that Bolt may be able to access any public function of assets in the project so you don't need to write down scripts for each one. I don't know I have a few days of experience with Bolt, this may be true but can't confirm.

4. WeakInteractive

WeakInteractive

If the asset's variables can be modified in the inspector, then there's a good chance you'll be able to access those variables with Playmaker. If the asset's developer has made it so you need to control everything with code, then you'll likely need some custom actions to use that asset with Playmaker.

Many popular assets come with Playmaker actions; some examples of assets I use that include Playmaker actions are: Rewired, Dialogue System for Unity, Sensor Toolkit, and Easy Save 3.

Animations are usually controlled using Unity's built in animator (mecanim) or API, which Playmaker has loads of actions for already. If it's just visual assets, sprites, models, SFX, etc, then Playmaker already has virtually everything you need. If it's procedural stuff and a lot of custom code, then you'd have to ask the asset's creator.

I'm an artist myself, and I use Playmaker for everything. I've run into a few situations where using regular code would be simpler and more efficient, but I have yet to encounter a situation that I couldn't solve with Playmaker.

unityunity