Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I use a pre-existing timeline on another game object?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by unity_rzt0nGj9hi4ihg, Apr 23, 2019.

1. unity_rzt0nGj9hi4ihg

unity_rzt0nGj9hi4ihg

I created a timeline (spent a lot of time on it) for an object that is a child of my main camera. I made the mistake of moving the child and not the camera when I created the timeline. Is there anyway to make the timeline apply to the camera and not just the child without having to redo the entire thing?

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, you can use the same timeline asset with as many playable directors, each with different bindings, as you like.

3. unity_rzt0nGj9hi4ihg

unity_rzt0nGj9hi4ihg

Thanks. I probably should have asked How can I ... If I gather from your answer above though, if I want to move the timeline from my child object to the main camera I would need to add a playable director to the main camera and bind the timeline to that? What kind of changes would I need to make with the timeline itself?

4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

The playable director does not need to be on the object it controls. Drag the timeline asset into the hierarchy window and it will create a game object with that playable director.

When re-using a timeline on a playable director, the timeline itself doesn't change, but you need to reassign the track bindings (and exposed references). If you are using the same timeline with multiple playable directors, changes to the timeline apply to all (except if you changing track bindings).

5. unity_rzt0nGj9hi4ihg

unity_rzt0nGj9hi4ihg

When you say reassign track bindings, what do you mean?

6. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Which objects are bound to the track. e.g. Which object is being animated by an animation track.

7. unity_rzt0nGj9hi4ihg

unity_rzt0nGj9hi4ihg

I got it! Thanks.