Search Unity

Can I use 10 seconds of Michael Jackson song in my game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mfatihbarut, Jan 6, 2021.

1. mfatihbarut

mfatihbarut

Hi all,
    In a scene (just one scene) I want my character to do moonwalking dance with background music, can I do it without right violation?

2. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Sure, if you wanna risk getting sued.
    why would you think it's okay?

you can do a moon walk to a (public domain/you own) soundtrack resembling a mj song, but not an actual mj song.

Vryken likes this.
  3. Vryken

Vryken

Not worth the risk.

4. mfatihbarut

mfatihbarut

thanks all
    (for buying me a valid license)

5. koirat

koirat

If you decide to go against law definitely use "Smooth Criminal" piece.

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The answer depends on the copyright laws in your area, all markets you would distribute your game, and how you're using the copyrighted work. The United States for example has a concept called "fair use", where it is permissible to use copyrighted works for specific purposes. For example, use for commentary or parody is permissible under "fair use". So if you were making a parody of an MJ music video, you would probably be fine in theory.

A few problems though.

* "Fair Use" is a defense in court, but does nothing to prevent you from either being sued or your platform/publisher being sued or removing your content to avoid being sued. It can be extremely expensive to battle a copyright case through the courts, even if chances are you would come out ahead.
    * "Fair Use" is a doctrine in US copyright law, but most likely your target market is larger than just this one country. You'd be vulnerable to lawsuits in any country which lacks an analog to Fair Use, even though the copyright holders of the MJ catalog are US based I believe.

IANAL, but you should talk to one

7. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

I see your user name and think you'll be out of jurisdiction of US copyright laws. But it doesn't worth it to try.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  8. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Nah, don't do that. His tunes are so famous, that you will end up being sued instantly.

Instead, download a free DAW, be a smooth criminal, and make up your own short Michael Jackson song.:cool:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Joe-Censored likes this.