Search Unity

Can I update a XML file during runtime in my Unity build?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by multix, Sep 13, 2015.

1. multix

multix

Hi,

I am quite new to Unity and asking you for some kind of validation of my idea:

- I want to build my Unity game as normal, but also a XML file with data is part of the build and in the normal application data path saved
    - Now I want to update that XML file with more current data during runtime of my game (e.g. read data from a PHP database in the web via option menu in my application)
    - Question: Can I overwrite my prexisting XML file with the new data read?

Is that an issue and/or what do I need to worry about that approach? Because just for updating I dont want to release all the time a new version in the appstore. I also heard about asset bundles but is there some more easy way with my approach above?

Thanks and regards,
    multix

2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

While it's quite easy to get the XML file to be embedded in your build - I'd use the StreamingAssets folder - you will probably not be able to change it at runtime, because on most platforms you do not have write access to your application files.

What I suggest you do is to ship the XML file with your application, but when you download a new version from your server, save the new version in the user's writable area (e.g. Application.persistentDataPath). Then, when your game is starting up, you check there first to see if an updated XML file is present, and if not you 'fall back' to the version that you shipped with the app.

Alternatively, you might just want to pull the data from something like Unity Cloud Data.