Search Unity

Can I Trust Test Ads?

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by TylerJoGames, Sep 15, 2021.

1. TylerJoGames

TylerJoGames

Do test ads come from the same network path as actual ads? I mean, if test ad works on my build, can I safely assume that the actual ads will also work once I publish my app?

I read a few forum posts here and there where people were arguing that the actual ads weren't showing when they could successfully load test ads.

I'd also like to test with actual ads, but I've become afraid to do so ever since Unity Ads stopped showing up on my published game for no specific reason--I posted a thread regarding that issue and got a reply from a Unity staff saying that they fixed the issue for me, but I still haven't gotten an answer on why such thing happened in the first place--and I'm suspecting my clicking on actual ads while testing flagged my game as fraudulent.
    So, if I publish my app as Closed Beta on Google Play Console and then click an actual ad that shows up there, will I get flagged for it?

2. LIU_Hanyang96

LIU_Hanyang96

Unity Technologies

Hi chojames500,

You can test your project with actual ads before publishing. As your ads data are normal, we won't block your account.

3. TylerJoGames

TylerJoGames

Thanks for a prompt reply, Liu
    But could you tell me why the ads were blocked for my game previously?

4. TylerJoGames

TylerJoGames

I just tested with actual ads, and i'm keep getting this empty screen.
    The first I did it, it worked. I wanted to test if skipping an ad does not grant player a reward, and it worked.
    Now, I wanted to try if watching the ad to the end grants player a reward so I played another ad, then ever since I'm getting the empty black screen with a close button on top-right corner, as can be seen in the file I attached

Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: ok, I just tested it again and now it shows up... I'd like to test a few more times but I'm really afraid of Unity flagging me as fraud (I know you assure me not to worry about it, but I'm just being really careful as some people had their accounts blocked for more than a month. I mean, when you said "we won't block your account," by that did you mean I no longer have a quota for how many actual ads I can test?)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  5. Unity_Quinn

Unity_Quinn

Unity Technologies

Hi @chojames500,

If you see something like that screenshot again, would you mind providing us with a screenshot of the build info? To do this, please click on the white hand icon in the top left corner (which in this case is kind of hidden within the Android icon). Once a pop-up appears, then click on the words, Build Info. You may have to scroll down to see all of it.

Now, about testing with production ads. Watching a few production ads here and there while testing your app is fine; you need to be a bit careful and try to avoid clicking on them. Now, if you’re watching a lot of ads and/or your repeatedly clicking on ads and maybe even installing the advertised app(s), then that may trigger a fraud issue. Basically, if you’re just watching a couple of ads to make sure everything is working and you’re not watching ads with the intent of generating revenue for yourself (fraud), then it should be fine.
    If, by some unfortunate mistake, your account is blocked, please create a support ticket with us, and we’ll help you get things sorted out for you as soon as possible.

Personally, when testing out my hobby projects/indie games, what I’ll do is keep ads on test mode during development. Then, right before I submit my app/update to the store for review, I’ll turn test mode off and watch a few ads as a final test to make sure everything is working.

I hope this helps!

6. TylerJoGames

TylerJoGames

Thanks a lot, that clears things up for me.
    Strangely, I'm not seeing those black screens anymore. The whole thing seemed so random