Search Unity

Can I set near plane value for point lights to less than 0.1? (5.3)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by LukaKotar, Jan 9, 2016.

1. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

I really need a light to cast a shadow from an object which can be closer than the minimum near plane limit. May I request that the slider can go down to 0, or at least lower than 0.1?

2. OneThree

OneThree

I need this to. Has anyone figured out a way to do this?

3. Le-Pampelmuse

Le-Pampelmuse

The adjustable near clipping plane was only recently introduced, I did some mailing with a Unity Employee and I thought they were only applying clipping plane 0.1+ to Spot Lights, because they had the 6 year old horrible clipping plane of 0.2*Range.

Point Lights were fine because they practically had a near clip range of virtually null.

But this is unacceptable. I only use point lights and directional lights and NO spotlights because of above described bug.
    How are we supposed to do desk lamps, even when using spot lights?? The distance light->lampscreen will most definitively be < 0.1 so never ever will a shadow be cast from the lamp itself.

This will hopefully get undone in some following updates.

To answer your question. No, you cannot. I asked them to not integrate this, but they did it anyway.

4. mirts

mirts

Same here. I have a lantern that has a cover form that needs to cast shadows. It looks terrible now. Also tried to set near clip plane lower by script but that doesn't help. Can we file a change request for that somewhere? Also, does anybody know the reason they implemented this constraint of 0.1 in the first place?

5. mirts

mirts

6. Le-Pampelmuse

Le-Pampelmuse

One of the main reasons was that spot lights had that internal (not accessible or changeable for anybody) value set to ~0.2.
    They had that intentional bug (most have been intentional since it was set by Unity and was reported through the years to them) setting for 6 YEARS.

Now it would make sense to implement a slider so people could set that value themselves. Yes. But the reason they chose that completely restricted and just plain dumb value was given to me by a Unity Dev: It makes the shadow map rendering more accurate this way. I thought "wtf, you can't even fix that for 6 years and now you are concerned for tiny artefacts resulting from a value below 0.1?

It's ok, I get that partly for the spot light shadow calculation. But when they decided to add that to point lights my patience burst into pieces. THEY WERE WORKING PERFECTLY FINE at any distance up until 0.0000x. They have other big problems which should be adressed and which are not solved by 0.1+ near clipping plane:

Take a soft shadow point light, place it near a surface, bam we get ugly circular artefacts, change to hard shadows, no problem at all.

Change to hard shadows, bam we get shadow clipping/flickering when light is a medium distance away.

This crap was one strong reason for me to look into Unreal Engine, but the outragious asset importing time and saving time for every setting change made + the inability to use c# and monodevelop (no way I'm using VS which takes way longer to load than mono and doesn't do anything any better) both threw me off immediately.

Unreal is nice for toying around and cripplling gpu render time, but lacks anything else.

The lighting/shadow topic had me rage for about 2 years now. I hope they quickly get their heads out of whatever place they are in right now.

unityunity