Search Unity

Can I sell my Unity3d 5 pro License & account?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ebolinux, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

I purchased unity 5 pro & a number of asset packages off the asset store a year or two ago. I was going to build a game with a few friends of mine and it didn't end up working out with them. Now I have a Unity 5 Pro license that I’m not able to really use with a lot of assets linked to the account. Is there some way to sell this to a person looking to get started in unity so I can re-coup some of my up front expenses?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. At least not legally. It's forbidden by both Unity's license and the Asset Store license.

wccrawford likes this.
  3. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

it depend if you are european, the european law will always override a simple license.

FuguFirecracker likes this.
  4. Ostwind

Ostwind

Not possible. Also your timing is really bad as Unity 5 support ends this month so it would look kinda fishy to sell it at the same month regardless if the intention was not related to that.

Kiwasi likes this.
  5. FuguFirecracker

FuguFirecracker

Don't take legal advice from strangers on forums.
    @Damien-Delmarle 's answer is the correct one.
    The LAWS of your country supersede any EULA put forth by a software company.

Some countries allow you to sell your license, some don't.

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Practically speaking... no. Unity does not allow it. While there are some legal issues in places like the UK, they typically apply to physical products (like buying a game/software in a box). With unity you aren to actually buying software, you are purchasing what is ultimately a distribution licence. I don't believe it has actually been tested in court yet. (not that I am aware of). So, you would need to hire a lawyer and file a case. All pretty pointless given costs involved. (Since Unity controls the licence, you can't just do it yourself, you will need to get or force Unity to transfer the licence).

But more importantly, if you did manage to pull that off, and win the right to sell your license, and get Unity to transfer your license, a Unity Pro 5.x license is pretty much worthless. No one would give you any money for it. It is old, limited to 5.x and inferior to the current free version. And as mentioned, support is almost over. No one is going to give you money for it, it is worthless. (on many levels).

Basically, any effort you put into it is going to cost more than anything you could possibly get, if it is even possible at all.

7. FuguFirecracker

FuguFirecracker

Indeed !
    Practically and legally ... There's the divide.
    Legally, maybe. Practically... good luck. LOL

theANMATOR2b and zombiegorilla like this.
  8. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

If if we were talking about some piece of software that was a current version and around 10k or something, it would be worth pursuing. But with an old unsupported version of inexpensive software like unity, it’s not worth the effort. Especially considering it’s very unlikely you could find someone to buy it in the first place. And you have to have a buyer in place to even begin the process.

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Whats a Unity 5 license? I have a Plus license, not tied to any version, didnt know there was licences tied to versions of unity

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

A perpetual license. If anything the fact that it's perpetual may have value.

11. Ostwind

Ostwind

It's the old pay once, own forever perpetual license.

12. LaneFox

LaneFox

You used to be able to buy perpetual licenses outright before it was a sub-only model.

13. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Pretty useless without new major versions though :D

14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Only for people who insist on moving to the latest and greatest. Current project I'm on is Unity 5.6.

15. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you bought the license for your business instead of for yourself, you could sell the business.

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

A Unity 5 license is a couple of years old, and anyone with a recent license now is better off. So, that license isn't even worth money. You can't upgrade a Unity 5 license anyway without going subscription, so you're selling absolutely nothing.

Pointless.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  17. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

ITT no one's answering OP's question. I'm very confident there are multiple ways to sell it. Providing you're a skilled and shameless enough conman. :p

theANMATOR2b and hippocoder like this.
  18. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unlimited access to the dark skin! :p

dogzerx2 and theANMATOR2b like this.
  19. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

IF you are on 5.6 it should be pretty straight forward to upgrade to 2017.3, 5.5 > 5.6 that was a different story

20. Ostwind

Ostwind

For a lot of the people still using Unity 5 the issue is not only the upgrade process but also the subscription change. At least for the people who have paid versions.

Ryiah likes this.
  21. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

2017 isn't really being used imo - it only became semi stable in the last few months (and yes, i own a perpetual 5 pro license and a current sub license) and even then with some critical bugs.

I do not recommend going above 5.6 for a commercial product without a ton of QA and risk of project failure. Generally, the established studios are still on 5.x in the slack and Discord chats for a reason. So, given the obvious, saying a 5x license is completely worthless is inaccurate and short sighted. Degraded value - sure.

I'm sure there are plenty of mobile focused studios that would snatch it up - you really arent losing much using 5.6, especially on mobile. That said, your local law trumps eula.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Ryiah and Martin_H like this.
  22. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Sure we have reported a few bugs in 2017, mostly with physics, but as a bonus we get single pass instanced and alot or features we need

23. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Thats great :)

My last 3 clients tried to update 5.6 projects to 2017 and had to revert due to showstopper bugs. Unfortunately, reliability trumps shiny things when you need to ship. Regarding single pass instanced - I'm assuming you didnt know 5.6 does that too. You might be surprised what 5.6 does.

I do have 1 client I've been able to keep on 2017, if but I suppose all of this irrelevant to the original post anyway. My point was I have every reason to believe there are studios that would buy it up.

Ryiah likes this.
  24. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

It does single pass not instanced (It was introduced in 2017.2 if i recall correctly). Singlepass only reduces setpass calls, while instanced also reduces batching. With single pass instanced the overhead of stereoscopic vision on the CPU almost negligible. Anyway, we always try to move to latest version has fast as possible. We went from 5.5 to 2017.3 over the course of a few months or so. It was alot of stuff that needed fixing and some bugs that needed to be fixed by Unity, but in the end its worth it. Now we are ready for 2018 and the new render pipeline. If you stay on older versions soon or later the move can be impossible or too expensive to pull off. Just my two cents

25. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I don't want to keep derailing the thread.

There are many reasons why a studio would pay a bit and settle on a 5x license. What me or you do doesn't really change that...

dogzerx2 and Ryiah like this.
  26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There are many reasons a studio does not wish to break the EULA. What me or you do doesn't really change that....
    Plus purchasing latest Unity, or having a sub entitles you to all Unity versions not just 5 - and probably cheaper, depending on your situation.

Answer: don't do it. If you want 5x just get a sub from Unity.

Ostwind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.