Search Unity

Can I Sell Models and Props ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ActivePrime, Aug 31, 2016.

1. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Hello,
    I am 3D Artist, I make Models and Props in 3ds Max.
    I have some models in grey-scale.
    Can I sell them somewhere ?
    What else I have to provide with the model ?
    What websites I should sell them on ?

Best Regards,
    M.Aqib

2. tedthebug

tedthebug

3. ErisCaffee

ErisCaffee

If I were you I'd texture the models before trying to sell them. You are more likely to get people to buy them that way. People like me, at least, who don't have any decent graphic skills, are not going to be interested in untextured models.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Not to mention the Asset Store has become a bit more stringent lately. They're likely to turn them down if they aren't.

ChrisSch, Deon-Cadme and Martin_H like this.
  5. Rombie

Rombie

Are they game-ready? Or super high-poly, fit for rendering?

6. SteveJ

SteveJ

I read this topic as "Can I Smell Models and Props ?". For a moment it was a super interesting thought.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This. If you are selling art on the store you are targeting coders who can barely tell the difference between red and blue. When I buy models I intend to just drop them in and have them magically work.

That means getting the model game ready should be done. Rigging and texturing should be done. If it's non humanoid, animations should be done.

8. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

It's not just coders. We have had 2 artists who were colorblind, a lead, and a senior concept artist. Not relevant to the conversation, just amusing triva. ;)

Kiwasi likes this.
  9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

My wife is a graphic designer and accomplished artist. When we were first dating she asked me what my mums favorite colour was, as Mother's Day was coming up. I responded red. She then asked if she liked yellow red or blue red. My immediate family spent several days just trying to figure out what the question meant. How can red be blue or yellow?

I've been educated since then. But my general point is don't take for granted that your end users will have even the remotest clue about what's going on. Those that are artists can easily remove textures and replace them. But those that aren't won't go near an untextured model.

Martin_H and zombiegorilla like this.
  10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Agree. The only thing an untextured model is good for - for a non artist is for prototyping or placeholder for level layout until the final model is complete.
    Any "prototype" pack should come with a gob sack (a bunch +10) of models - and at the very least have proper UVs generated.
    Although I suspect up agsinst fully textured and shader setup models - a prototype pack would be rather unappealing - if it was even able to get accepted.

11. Martin_H

Martin_H

Am I the only one that thinks usually a 3D artists learns the answers to at least some of those 3 questions long before they are at the skill level to actually be able to create something worth selling?

12. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

So? Whats the answer??

ActivePrime likes this.
  13. Martin_H

Martin_H

Pretty sure this is what she meant ("yellow" reds on the left, "blue" reds on the right):

Perrydotto and ChrisSch like this.
  14. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is red with bluish tint, but there's not enough tint for the color to stop being red and become purple.

ChrisSch and Martin_H like this.
  15. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Jokes aside, you can try selling on the asset store. You'll need Unity ofc and to upload using the Asset Store tools (which you can also find on the asset store) following the guidelines, and other FAQ. There is/was shorter guidelines but I can't seem to find them right now. If you wanna publish on the asset store be ready to bring your A game because Unity is becoming more and more strict and upping the standards for submissions, so they're looking for quality content. If you plan on just uploading a chair it will most likely be rejected. Whats more in line with what would be accepted is a chair asset pack or furniture pack.

There's also Turbosquid which is really popular, and you can sell there for a lot more money, but your quality needs to be a lot higher too. We personally didn't have much luck outside the asset store, but didn't try that hard either. :p

Martin_H likes this.
  16. drewradley

drewradley

Holy crap. What is that? The motion sickness palette? The vertigo inducing color scheme?

17. Martin_H

Martin_H

It is the first google image search result that vaguely showed what I wanted to give as an example.

18. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

I have multiple LODs

19. Chrisasan

Chrisasan

You could try selling on squid.com, they get lots of unfinished models on there.

----------------------------------------
    $10.00 contest CONTEST

20. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Does random models fill up all of your need ? if now what you do ?

21. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Actually I have experience in 3d modelling, my goal was to use them in my own games, what I figured out later game creation is not the single person's job.

22. Rombie

Rombie

If you took the time to make LOD's then might as well spend the extra effort texturing and finishing those grey-scale models. It'll result in a much better product.

23. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Thanks for the guidelines!

24. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

I have read terms.
    Nice thing to know Paypal is not available in my country!

25. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Typically commission an artist to fill in the gaps.

Its also why asset packs are typically more successful then random models.

Martin_H likes this.
  26. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

Yes I am working on LoDs

27. ActivePrime

ActivePrime

I got it :)