Search Unity

Can i script for the 2 side mouse buttons

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by melonhead, Jun 17, 2019.

1. melonhead

melonhead

I need to buy a new mouse and want to know if i can use the 2 extra buttons on the side of the mouse probably buttons 3 and 4, as i do not have these buttons at the moment i have no way of testing if i can code for these, i think the buttons are used for forward and backwards pages when using the internet but can i use something like
    (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(3)) and (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(4))

i have had a search but can only find some old posts from a few years back saying they can not be used, but have these now been implemented in unity, as i would be pretty suprised if not seeing as most gaming mice will have these button

cheers

2. WallaceT_MFM

WallaceT_MFM

You could use virtual buttons with the InputManager.
    Code (csharp):
    1. // Instead of this
    2. //Input.GetMouseButtonDown(3)
    3. // Use this
    4. Input.GetButtonDown("Fire3")
    You could then change the binding for Fire3 to your mouse buttons. For testing, you could bind to Q or some other key, and then change it to mouse2 when you get your new mouse.

3. EdGunther

EdGunther

There has to be some Unity recognized input.

The input manager may help (Edit -> Project Settings -> Input) but not if you don't know what the input is called.

Try this in your update function
    Code (CSharp):
    1. for (int i = 0; i < 7; i++)
    2.         {
    3.             if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(i))
    4.                 Debug.Log(i);
    5.         }
    and click away!! see what happens lmao

EDIT: I just tested this in my game and I don't get any console errors as long as I set i<7. That means there are definitely more recognized mouse inputs than 0, 1, & 2.

SparrowGS likes this.
  4. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

5. danielmanzie87

danielmanzie87

Thanks. I looked through the document and found what I was looking for. I used "Mouse3" to get my mouse side button to work. I wrote the code like this:

if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Mouse3))
    {
    //Do something.
    }

6. spiritwolf_u3d

spiritwolf_u3d

unity new input system support for mice with more than 5 buttons ?
    The old input system had support for mice with up to 7 buttons; KeyCode went from Mouse0 to Mouse6. The new input system, however, has

leftButton rightButton middleButton forwardButton backButton Only 5 buttons. Can we get support for many-buttoned mice like this one?https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Play-Mice/scimitar-pro-config/p/CH-9304011-NA